Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move to a NEW computer without loosing precious app data?

I have two kids who both have 4th Gen iPod Touch devices running iOS 5. Each of my kids also have their own desktop PC's running Windows XP as well as the latest version of iTunes (version 10.5). Several months ago they both got new laptops running Windows 7 and I recently updated iTunes on these laptops to version 10.5 as well. All of the content on the iDevices (music, apps, movies video's, and more) is present (successfully copied / downloaded) on both their desktop PC and their new laptops - this also includes full iTunes authorization on every device and every computer! Their iPod Touch's are currently being synced excursively with their desktop computers but I want to switch both iPod Touch's over to being synced excursively with their laptops. I've searched throughout these forums and I keep encountering the same advice about right clicking the connected device, making a backup before wiping and restoring, then restore again from the most recently created backup. I've tried this but the all app data including games saves, games levels, and other personal data within the some apps is lost or simply not restored. Please understand what I'm asking. I know how to get apps back on the devices - but I don't know how to keep from loosing the data held within the apps. Is there a way to move these iPod Touch's to a new computer without loosing precious app data?

Thanks

Randy

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 9:34 PM

1 reply

Oct 18, 2011 11:07 PM in response to Randy Brown1

App data and settings are part of the backup made by iTunes. To transfer the apps on the devices, connect to the computer you want to sync to, right click on the iPod in the device list and choose "transfer purchases".

After that, back up manually by right clicking again and choosing "backup". Due to the change of the computer iTunes wants erase the media on the iPod, let iTunes do that. Choose to restore from your manual backup after the device got set up again, and you apps including the settings and data should be present again.
More info about the content of a backup can be found here: iTunes: About iOS backups
Saving data is also mentioned here: How to back up your data and set up as a new device

How to move to a NEW computer without loosing precious app data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.