Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copyright

I made an iMovie on the basis of stills only, using 3 pictures found on the internet (Wikipedia, Webshots) and music of my iTunes. Is sharing this movie (images, sound) on social netsites as YouTube or Vimeo free - clearly NOT intended for commercial reasons, or do I need permissions first?

iMac11,3 (2.8 GHz Intel Core i5), Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 2:20 AM

• double-clicking any picture in Wikipedia brings up the info, wether the pic is CC or has limitations in publishing it

• you don't 'own' 'your' music in iTunes ... you have limited usage-rights, esp. for commercial music you do NOT have any rights to publish it in any form (as 'on YT').

4 replies

Oct 19, 2011 3:00 AM in response to pdrcourious

pdrcourious wrote:

... is the majority of music I hear on these sites rather illegal then?

simple answer: YES! 🙂

I received two 'blue letters'/cease and decist from YouTube, 'cause I replaced the music in live-scenery by parts of same track from my iTunes collection (to get a solid audio track). the YT-filters (machine or Bangladore) identify commercial music fast - esp. when bought in iTS, it seems, it contains a 'watermark', which instantly tells YT "who owns this?"

in terms of legal/illegal: some are tolerant, some not. but YOU don't have any rights to publish any 'found' music (pictures, videos, maps, graphics, buildings, art, ......................)

I tought a seminar on this issue, without being an advocat ... in theory, 99% of YouTube has to be pulled.

Oct 19, 2011 4:40 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

OK, I get this 'unhappy' message.

So, nobody will ever know what they are missing 😉, although I did mention all this music and found images on the iMovie's title roll, specifically to respect each one's rights (even as I never got any reaction from the identified owners to my asking them for their permission; no interest obviously...).

Copyright

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.