7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 6:58 PM by travellingman
Bernard Harte Level 4 Level 4 (3,190 points)

I am troubleshooting offline syncing with Evernote on iOS devices and have reached the conclusion that it may be specific content in specific notebooks that is causing the problem.  [Without going into too much detail, Premium Evernote customers are able to sync any or all of their notebooks for offline access in the iOS app.  This entails the app downloading the content of the notes as well as the titles and other metadata so that they can be accessed offline.  Something in iOS 5.0 broke this, causing the app to crash - but only when certain notebooks are selected for offline access.]

Back to the Mac:

Let's say I have a notebook, bookname, containing 5 notes.  I am creating a notebook for each of these, with the name bookname-1, ... bookname-5.  That's easy and the results get synced to Evernote and appear in iOS:

tell application "Evernote"

repeat with noteNumber from 1 to 5

set numTxt to noteNumber as string

make new notebook with properties {name:("bookname-" & numTxt)}

end repeat

end tell

Now I move the notes in bookname to their new locations:

tell application "Evernote"

repeat with noteNumber from 1 to 5

set numTxt to noteNumber as string

move note 1 of notebook "bookname" to notebook ("bookname-" & numTxt)

end repeat

end tell

[Yes, I could have done this all in one script, but I wanted to see where the syncing was breaking.]

This is where I get the problem: although the notes move correctly on the Mac, they stubbornly appear in their original notebook on the web and iOS versions.  However, if you go back the Mac and manually move one of these items into another notebook they do move and they are synced properly.

There's another gotcha to be aware of: if you had done as described and then deleted the original notebook on the Mac, all the items disappear from their 'new' notebooks only to show up in Everote's Trash. (This means that an AppleScript that moves or copies any Evernote note is in danger of silently failing.)

Obviously, when dealing with small notebooks one probably would not use an AppleScript, but I am trying to troubleshoot some with many hundreds of notes.

Here, finally, is my question: can anyone else with Evernote reproduce this?  I am using 10.7.2 with Evernote.  (You should not need a premium account, just to access the web version as well as that on the Mac.)

Any help would be much appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), High-Res 17" 2.5GHz 4GB