Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and iPad not syncing books

Hi

I have recently upgraded to iOS5 on both my iPhone 4 and iPad 1. All my books are displayed on my iPad, which are synced from my PC via iTunes. However, none of my books are available on my iPhone 4. I have been into the iBookstore and tried to download my purchased books again, but each time I download them, as soon as the download progress bar gets to 100%, the book disappears from the iPhone! As a result, I have no books on my iPhone and can't download any to read.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the app on both devices and have even deleted all my books from both devices, then downloaded a single book from the iBookstore using the iPad and still no books are available on the iPhone. The sync does not seem to be working at all.

I have iBooks set for 'Automatic Downloads' in the Store settings, which I'd hoped would sort the syncing, but no.

I'm really frustrated with this and am propbably going to delete the app, then just use the Kindle app instead, but I'd like to have everything synced under one roof using Apple and iCloud, so was giving Apple the benefit of the doubt.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Clark

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 5:35 AM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2011 7:10 AM in response to cgubbins

I'm having the same issue, and actually just posted myself.. I'm confused as to why this is happening.. I have it on my IPAD, and verified I had the same apple ID being used, but nothing.. My do not even show up in my phone as being able to download from what I have purchased..

Hopefully between mine and your posts we will get an answer to this..

Oct 21, 2011 8:09 AM in response to kycableguy

Thanks for your input.

What you're describing does work, in as much I can sync my books to both my iPad and my iPhone 4 manually, by plugging my cable into the laptop and syncing the books from iTunes on my laptop to those devices individually, but there doesn't seem to be any syncing between the iPad and the iPhone, and I was under the impression there would be.

It's no big deal if they can't sync, but I was under the impression I could download a book on one device and it would sync to the other. I didn't think iBooks syncing still relied on using iTunes on a PC as a central point for syncing.

This is still outstanding for me - if I try and download a new book from the store using my iPhone, it just disappears as soon as it finishes downloading, which means I'd have to download it on the iPad, sync the iPad to the laptop, sync the laptop the iPhone just to get a book on the iPhone!! Not good.

Nov 3, 2011 7:05 AM in response to cgubbins

I am also having this problem. Theoretically, my phone is supposed to automatically synch to iTunes when my computer is on. My computer was on last night and it should have synched, right? I still don't have the most recently purchased book on my iPhone though. I'm on an iPhone 4 (no s).

I was also under the impression that when I downloaded a bok on one device it would synch to the other. My music works that way, so it would make sense for my books to as well.

I'm not having the same problem cgubbins has, however, when downloading the file again makes it disappear. I can re-download the file, but it makes me feel like i'm buying it all over again.

Jul 31, 2015 7:59 PM in response to cgubbins

My issue is similar except i have synced my i-phone successfully many times over the last year or so, but just recently my phone is saying that it cannot sync the books I'm trying to add. I can't find any reference to this anywhere else. I have an older version of the IOS and REFUSE to upgrade as I tried it once already and it crashed my computer. I had to restore it from a previous point (Thank god I had that option!)

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, please let me know! On a different subject, anyone else have issues with imessage after upgrading recently? It wont let me sign in to imessage. What's with that????

iPhone and iPad not syncing books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.