Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No notification sounds when bluetooth is paired

Just bought the iPhone 4S and noticed that I don't get notification sounds when my phone is paired to my Bluetooth headset. The phone vibrates but no audible notification. The phone is not on silent and it only happens when paired to a Bluetooth headset.

For example, I always have my bluetooth paired while driving in case I get a call but as a result I do not get an audible notification when a text message is received (phone only vibrates which is hard to hear while driving)

Any thoughts on why the audible alerts go away when paired? Did not have this issue with my previous Blackberry

Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 5, iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 7:39 AM

10 replies

Oct 21, 2011 1:30 PM in response to rhn1975

I have a '11 TSX and I am having the same problem. I just switched from Android to the 4S, I had no problem with Blackberry and Android. Now with Siri this is extra frustrating because you can now read and write texts without taking your eyes off the road. That is if I knew I received one.

Please let me know if you find a solution, for the present mine is keeping phone in my pocket so I can feel the vibration when I receive a text.

Vic

Oct 21, 2011 2:00 PM in response to specs4u

I called Apple support who couldn't figure out why and ended up transferring me to one of their senior consultants. After some research and trying it on several devices at her end she confirmed the issue but said unfortunately it is not a malfuntion but rather they way the OS was designed. She agreed that it didn't make too much sense and said she would send a note to the engineering team on the hope that they would address it with a future software update. She strongly suggested that i submit feedback requesting this change which I did. She said the more people sent in requests the higher the priority to get it done. I suggest you do the same by going to www.apple.com/feedback

I switched from a Blackberry and aside from this issue I absolutely love the phone and how smooth and responsive iOS is. I own all Apple products and have no second thoughts about making the switch to the iPhone

Send the feedback, let's hope the fix it soon!

Nov 23, 2011 1:19 PM in response to rhn1975

I have the new 4S on 5.0.1 and a 2011 toyota tundra with the factory bluetooth hands free kit and have the same issue - no notification sounds with bluetooth connected. I do have an option to setup the bluetooth connection as "phone only" or with "internal audio" from the pairing menu. When I pair using the "phone only" setting, the notification sounds still come through the phone speaker. It's only when I pair with the "internal audio" setting (that uses A2DP) when I lose the notificaiton sounds from the phone. If I am on the BT input (streaming audio or paused) then I can hear the sounds - similar to the bluetooth headset issues with the sounds coming from the headset and not the phone.

I don't see how this can be anything other than caused by Apple's software.

I've also sent feedback on this issue. Let's all do the same.

Nov 19, 2013 11:34 AM in response to rhn1975

I too have this issue with my iPhone 5 and my 2014 GMC Acadia. I can hear calls through the audio on the car, but no text alerts, no calendar alerts - no other sounds from my phone.

I have been searching for an answer to this - I should be able to get calls, listen to my music via bluetooth - while also getting audible alerts from my other applications.

I hope there is a resolution soon!

No notification sounds when bluetooth is paired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.