Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 4s shutting off by itself

New iPhone 4s shuts off by itself and won't work again till a hard reset is done. Anyone else having this issue?.

iMac 2.4GHz Intel 2GB, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 9:03 AM

10 replies

Oct 29, 2011 9:27 AM in response to Doogs63

I've had similar issues and battery drain problems too. I left the phone on 66%charge overnight and it was switched off in the morning. Battery totally drained and phone unable to switch on normally.

Recharged the phone, took it off charge and a few hours later it had switched itself off again. Casing was hot like it had been processing something to death! When restarted battery had dropped considerably.

I found a post that suggested switching off the automatic time zone switch may help and that does seem to do something to help the situation.

I've asked for a replacement phone because I don't know what damage this overheating and batty drain is doing to the unit.

Nov 1, 2011 2:51 AM in response to Doogs63

Same problem. The iphone 4s would randomly shut down while in standby mode. However, it seems like it stays connected to the network, because when somebody calls me they all say thet the just hear long beeps, as like I'm just not picking up. The only way to turn it back on is to hard reset it (home+power buttons for 10-15 sec). Does anyone know a permanent fix for that? I bought my phone in Canada, but I live in Latvia, so going to apple store and replacing is not an option. There are no Apple stores in Latvia either.

Nov 2, 2011 7:09 PM in response to Doogs63

I am having the same problem regardless of battery life. I have had my phone for about a week and it was working fine until two (2) days ago. The phone will shut itself off and I cannot turn it on until a hard reset is performed. This is very aggravating and, moreover, a major incovnenience. I need my phone for work and now I can't be sure when I am recieving emails. Instead I must actively monitor my phone to ensure that it remains powered on.

Nov 2, 2011 7:37 PM in response to jamesfromcortlandt manor

that sounds like you might have a bad verison of the software. if that continues you need to sync all your info to your computer so you dont lose anything and then restore AS A NEW DEVICE and then your phone should be fixed

but also some of your apps will still be open even after you hard reset. try the multitasking, if that doesnt work then restore as new

Dec 30, 2011 4:11 PM in response to Doogs63

I received my second iPhone 4S this past Thursday (the 1st one had hardward issues) and have been having this issue since I got it. I don't have many apps on the phone and few are running in the background. Battery level is always good when the phone shuts itself off.

I just set up my phone as a new device this morning following Apple support's advice but this problem is still occuring, and more frequent if you ask me.

Based on my experience this issue is NOT to do with:

1. Temperature;

2. The duration the phone is left idle;

3. (Number of) Apps running in the background;

4. Battery level at the time of self shut off;

5. Automatic time zone

I'm going to get a new replacement and hope my 3rd 4S is finally going to work. Would be great if Apple could look into this issue a bit more though as it is incovenient to miss important phone calls.

IPhone 4s shutting off by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.