Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 3GS shuts down randomly

My 1phone 3GS 64MB shuts down randomly with around 60 or 40% battery showing on the screen - no low battery message received but I think it is maybe the battery that needs replacing as the phone won't work again until I charge it. Is this a typical issue when a battery goes out? Thank you.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.3, 3GS battery 64mb

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 9:51 AM

6 replies

Jan 5, 2012 11:07 AM in response to maryfromschaumburg

On My iPhone 3GS started with iOS 4.3 and 5.0 did not improve even with the 5.0.1. When started, the device shut down at around 43% battery. Every 2 or 3 weeks the problem got worse ... 53%, 65%, 75%, 86%, 96%, 98% and 100% now it can be turned off.
I realized that if I use the internet through the 3G off at around 98%. If you use the internet through wi-fi, off at around 86%. If you use 3D games off even faster. The first shutdown can be restored by resetting the system (home + power). But after the second or third, it asks to connect to an electrical outlet, the battery even when it was full. If you make a small charge, enough to start the system will turn off at the next mark (percentages cited above). I started using the iPhone always connected to an electrical outlet (house or car).

Recently I made a painful test: I turned off the 3G, wifi and data transmission; stopped to use all the features of the iPhone, except for calls and SMS. The GPS was on, but I did not use any application that needed it. As a result, the battery lasted about 4 days and declined up to 6% (when it fell during a call). I was very glad to review the battery alerts (20% and 10%) after so many months. Then I waited 1 or 2 hours and recharged the phone to 100%. I noticed that charging was much slower than what was occurring before (and remains so since then). But until now I did not notice a difference in the problem.

Other users with the same problem say revert to factory settings did not fix the problem. There are no Apple Stores in my country, only representatives and mobile phone carriers, but the assurance of my iPhone expired in May 2011, in addition, here we have the iPhone 4S world's most expensive (between US$ 1419 and US $ 1,855), the which means buying another iPhone is a last option. Buy another battery would be easier, but I question: if the problem is the battery, why work properly when does not was required 3G, Internet, games or gps?

It would be nice if Apple responded something like "we are aware of the problem and are working on it." At least we could hope to keep until the next update.
Here are some of the topics of people with the (same / similar) problems:

- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3352523?answerId=16862278022#16862278022

- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3412435?answerId=17076909022#17076909022

- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3071209?answerId=17169026022#17169026022

Jan 16, 2012 6:31 AM in response to maryfromschaumburg

Don’t really have anything to add to the conversation, just wanted to add my tale of woe to the mix. Perhaps my post will be the tipping point that prompts Apple to address this issue. I have a 3GS and had been running 4.3.5 for months without issue. In a moment of weakness I took the plunge and ‘upgraded’ to 5.0.1. Ignoring my wise other’s sage advice, “if it aint broke, don’t fix it”. Immediately I began experiencing the same issues it seems many others are. After a full charge, my phone shuts off within 30 minutes. If I plug it into a power source for 30 seconds, it powers back up with a full charge. It will remain on for anywhere from 10-30 minutes or so, then shuts off again. It works fine (if you can call that working), if I keep it plugged up. I have gone thru the restore/reset/update ect., to no effect. Some have suggested that it may be a bad battery. I’m pretty dubious with that explanation since it worked perfectly fine under the old OS and only started acting up when I upgraded. I suppose it is not impossible that is was just coincidence that my battery decided to go out at the exact time I happened to upgrade, but I doubt it. It seems clear, as many have concluded that there is an incompatibility issue with the 5.0 upgrade on 3GS phones. I should have left well enough alone. My next move is to attempt to downgrade back to my previous OS. I know, I know, some say this is ‘impossible’, but I know what is done, can be undone. Has anyone had any success with a downgrade?

Feb 16, 2012 6:00 PM in response to maryfromschaumburg

updating:

switch off at 100% battery now became more frequent. Is very difficult to recover. Once I could get it back by restarting the system 10 times. By the fifth he even ventured, but, in seeking the carrier, hung up. More like 5 attempts and returned it with half the battery.

In another situation, more unfortunate, the iPhone is turned off in the middle of an emergency call. In desperation, I wanted to throw it down with full force. Restrain me, but I do not know until when.

iphone 3GS shuts down randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.