Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slit Scan looks fine in Motion preview but not when I Export to Movie

I have a project that I finally got to look exactly the way I wanted, but when I export it to a Quicktime Movie, it's all messed up. I used the Slit Scan filter on a PSD image for the background, and it looks great in the preview in Motion, but when I go to export it, the top half and the bottom half alternately drop out to black. I've tried every setting I can think of but nothing changes it. I've tried several different export options as well, but no luck. I'm up against a hard deadline and I just can't get it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 4:10 PM

7 replies

Oct 20, 2011 10:08 AM in response to BenB

Thanks for your reply, Ben.

The render settings are:

Resolution: Dynamic and Full

Quality: Best

Lighting on

Shadows on

Reflections on

Frame Blending on

In the export settings, I typically just leave everything as current settings, and use canvas settings, but I've tried changing everything and nothing makes any difference. I posted it to YouTube if you'd like to see what the problem is. The link is:

http://youtu.be/oL3Mx5yGKVs

You can see at about the 3 second mark that the Castle logo with drop shadow is on a black background. The background isn't ever supposed to be black, and isn't in the canvas window. It's supposed to vary from light gray, to yellow and white, but never black. There is also supposed to be a white horizontal glow that spans the width of the frame right about the center, and that has just dropped out completely. The top also drops to black and shouldn't. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Oct 21, 2011 7:36 AM in response to GFXZen

Thanks for the suggestion GFXZen, but no luck. I did find sort a a duct-tape type fix though. I tried the filter Slit Tunnel to see if it had the same issue, and surprisingly, it didn't - it rendered perfectly. But it didn't provide quite the same effect I was looking for, so I duplicated the background image that I wanted to use the Slit Scan on and dropped it to the bottom of the layer stack, and left the Slit Scan filter on the image above it, and it looks great. When the Slit Scan areas drop out in the final movie, you see the Slit Tunnel filter there instead, and it's not even noticeable that they are different. I guess it's just a bug. Thanks anyway for your help guys!

Slit Scan looks fine in Motion preview but not when I Export to Movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.