Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture3.2 on Lion does not support RAW file from SONY NEX-5N..Why?

I upgrade to Lion and RAW file support update.

but Aperture 3.2 does not show RAW file from my NEX-5N.

I can see the thumbnail of picture, but after importing pictures program does not support the pictures

How can I fix this?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 7:07 PM

I am in the same boat. We are in a waiting game for Aperture to support the Gold rated (according to dpreview) Sony NEX-5N. Adobe does provide RAW support, so you could download their RAW converter and to create a RAW like file for Aperture, but that's a bit cumbersome. For now, I am shooting JPG and waiting for Aperture.

You might also find that iMovie does not support the default video from the NEX-5N so you have to switch to MP4. Just FYI.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2011 7:07 PM in response to mintaick

I am in the same boat. We are in a waiting game for Aperture to support the Gold rated (according to dpreview) Sony NEX-5N. Adobe does provide RAW support, so you could download their RAW converter and to create a RAW like file for Aperture, but that's a bit cumbersome. For now, I am shooting JPG and waiting for Aperture.

You might also find that iMovie does not support the default video from the NEX-5N so you have to switch to MP4. Just FYI.

Oct 27, 2011 3:47 AM in response to jayhawk

Hi. Not sure about the comment on iMovie not supporting AVCHD. Did a lot of research, so you may want to double check what I'm saying, iMovie doesn't natively support editing AVCHD, however it seems to convert it to AIC and I personally never had to switch shooting MP4 simply to use iMovie with my NEX-5N. It's my understanding that Final Cut Pro X does support AVCHD, but re-wraps the file which is why it's critical to import the ENTIRE AVCHD file into final cut pro x and not try to pick out individual .mts files. Hope this helps.

Oct 29, 2011 3:22 AM in response to mintaick

I found a work-around. Aperture does support Adobe's DNG format, and there's a free converter from Adobe, so if you shoot in RAW, then convert the RAW images to DNG (maybe save the RAW images for later if you want), then import, Aperture imports the files easily. Try that. It works for me, and I'm happy until Aperture supports the NEX-5N natively.

Aperture3.2 on Lion does not support RAW file from SONY NEX-5N..Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.