Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-install clean formatted version of Lion.

Is there a quick way to do this?

I have looked online and seen various burn to DVD or USB Thumb drives which is fine, but I need to find the actual file?

I had 10.6.7 on my machine and downloaded Lion, and installed. I then believe that you can do a new "clean" install of Lion once its on there?

I re-booted with cmd+R but even with the fresh install setting it still keeps and retains everything after a lengthy re-install process?

I have backed up and want to do a CLEAN brand new install of the latest Lion reformat? - Is this possible?

Can I do it from the installed Lion file, or do i need (and is it easier to burn to DVD) the Lion file - if so whats it called and where would it be?

Would I need to download it again to burn it? but the App Store says its "purchased" - i thought if i re-downloaded as i've already paid I could do that?

Any help would be great

MacBook Pro i7 8GB - iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 2:58 AM

6 replies

Oct 20, 2011 3:44 AM in response to Lexiepex

Do it like in this expose:

1. Once you’ve purchased Lion, find the Lion installer on your Mac. It’s called Install Mac OS X Lion.app and it should have been downloaded to /Applications.
  2. Right-click (or Control+click) the installer, and choose Show Package Contents from the resulting contextual menu.
  3. In the folder that appears, open Contents, then open Shared Support; you’ll see a disk-image file calledInstallESD.dmg.
  4. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities).
  5. Drag the InstallESD.dmg disk image into Disk Utility’s left-hand sidebar.

Oct 20, 2011 5:32 AM in response to buckaroo14

buckaroo14 wrote:

Is there a quick way to do this?

I re-booted with cmd+R but even with the fresh install setting it still keeps and retains everything after a lengthy re-install process?

I have backed up and want to do a CLEAN brand new install of the latest Lion reformat? - Is this possible?

Not quick, but after you boot into Recovery, select Disk Utility, then Erase your Macintosh HD Volume, quit Disk Utiltiy, then selet Reinstall OS X Lion

Re-install clean formatted version of Lion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.