Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import settings help

How do i adjust the import settings to a default setting, the import sertting at the moment is set to the same default and comes up the same as before everytime and i would like to change this, for example the caption box has the same caption everytime. In fact i woudl like to change the import setting everytime new images are imported but there are some items on the settings which I'd like to keep as default such as information on copyright and info about myself etc.

Thanks

iMac

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 2:55 AM

2 replies

Oct 20, 2011 4:15 AM in response to Dave Angel

Hello Dave,

have you already tried to define custom presets for the import settings? How to do this is described in this section of the Aperture User Manual: Adding Additional Import Options

By default the import settings are determined as follows:

• If you just drag folders or images to the library then the settings you last used are applied,
  • If you use the import panel, then the current settings in in the right pane of the import panel will applied.

In the Import setting drop down menu you select, which settings you want to specify.

I would recommend that you define at least your own Metadata Presets to assign standard keywords and copyright notices, and also define a custom file naming preset.

To add your own custom preset to a group of presets, set the selector to "edit", then you can define your own defaults.

Regards

Léonie

Oct 20, 2011 4:22 AM in response to Dave Angel

Hi Dave -- have you tried setting up a Metadata Preset and adding it to your Import settings? You can see, create, and eidt Metadata Presets via "Aperture→Presets→Metadata". I always use one. For my shots, I include the following fields:

{IPTC Contact} -- all of them.

{IPTC Content} -- Keywords. For adding keywords at import. In practice, rarely used.

{IPTC Status} -- Copyright ("©MyName") and Usage Terms.

This is the text I use for Usage Terms:

"No Usage Rights Of Any Kind Granted Without Written Authorization From MyName"

You can type the copyright symbol on a Mac by "{Option}+g".

In the Import dialog, click the dropdown button at the top right "Import Settings" and add a section for Metadata. In the Metadata section, click the dropdown and select the Metadata Preset you have set up.

If you include the Caption field, but leave it blank, it should (afaik) come up blank for each import -- allowing you to add a caption to be applied to all files being imported.

It is worth examining the other Import settings to see if any are of use to you.

I think that's what you are asking. If not, ask more.

Import settings help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.