Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motorola SLVR L7 & Bluetooth

I have just got a Motorola SLVR L7, Both my macs will find the phone and pair with it. When you try to browse device it won't validate and the phone freezes for about a minute?
Is the device not supported yet?
Is there any third party software or drivers?
Motorola have no mac software that i know of.
grateful for any info or advice.

Dual 1.8 G5 & ibook 933 G4 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jan 30, 2006 5:46 AM

9 replies

Jan 31, 2006 1:33 PM in response to Studio monkey

What do you mean with browse? Do you mean the Browse Device option in Mac OS X's Bluetooth menu?

You could try my GSM Remote > Window menu > Folder Browser…. Perhaps this work, perhaps not. It is the only alternative I know because it works a bit different than Apple's solution.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Mar 8, 2006 5:10 AM in response to Studio monkey

Only the Cingular firmware in the US will work with OS X. Motorola (once again) didn't use standard bluetooth protocols so when you pair the phone, it doesn't broadcast back what it is capable of. But the iTunes version of the firmware has these broadcasts because Apple helped write the firmware. I'm getting mine flashed by Cingular when I get to the states in a few weeks.

Mar 23, 2006 1:30 PM in response to Studio monkey

Join the massive queue of people with the same problem.

I have the SLVR V8 which I believe is also called the L7v?

There are loads of posts about this but nothing seems to be happening regarding it yet. There have been 2 OSX updates since I first posted about it and the problem still persists. And there is no software update or new drivers from Motorola.

Apparently theres a bluetooth communications issue between Moto and Apple that needs to be resolved.

Im totally gutted because I swapped phone providers to get the SLVR in silver and turned down 25% cheaper line rental for life (after id already signed up to VF) and choice of any handset apart from the SLVR in silver because it WAS (not now) exclusive to Vodafone.

Id been wih T-Mobile right from the start and I mean when it was One2One in the UK. Now I have the phone I wanted I find half its functions dont work.

Bugger!

Mar 25, 2006 6:07 PM in response to Studio monkey

I have a Vodafone branded SLVR L7 that I picked up in Australia and experienced the same bluetooth connection problem.

I was just as confused when Apple's iSync page stated that the SLVR L7 was compatible when clearly the Bluetooth component was not connecting. It seems that the fine print states for all Motorola phones work with "Bluetooth and/or USB syncing except for Motorola v710". 'And/Or' being the catch here...

So technically the phone does work with iSync however you'll need to hook up the phone to your Mac via a USB cable to get it to work if you do not have a Cingular branded SLVR. I had to try a few times to get the USB sync to work and ended up deleting my iSync preferences to fix it. As it states on the iSync page, it will only sync your address book and calendar.

The only way to resolve the Bluetooth issue is to either wait for Apple or Motorola to fix the problem, or you could go the 'modders' route and upgrade or change the firmware on your phone. However all of the software you need to do this is only available on Windows and if done incorrectly can damage your phone. I haven't done this myself but there's plenty of forums and websites dedicated to 'moto modding'.

Motorola SLVR L7 & Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.