5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2011 11:33 AM by RatVega™
colforbinphan Level 1 Level 1

Hi all,

I am rendering some HD video files.  Each are about 1 to 2 GB each.  Last night it took this computer almost 9 hours to render just one of these 2 GB files.  Is this normal or do I need to be on the fast track to a genius appointment?

regards,

Mike

Mac Pro
Reply by cdutoit62 on Oct 20, 2011 7:28 AM Helpful

I am experiencing the same difficulty but my video in also standard definition.  Estimated AVI conversion time is 6 hours for only half (15min) of video.  I suspect that final cut may be set to convert in background or something but I'm not sure.  Hope you find a solution to this problem.

Reply by Nick Holmes on Oct 20, 2011 7:34 AM Helpful

You would be better off exporting a master file to QuickTime with Current Settings & Self Contained.

Then use Compressor to make the AVI files from that.

Compressor can be set up to use all the cores of your CPU:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_compressor_with_multiple_cores. html

All replies

• colforbinphan Level 1 Level 1

Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.44.51 AM.png

my activity monitor also looks like this

• cdutoit62 Level 1 Level 1

I am experiencing the same difficulty but my video in also standard definition.  Estimated AVI conversion time is 6 hours for only half (15min) of video.  I suspect that final cut may be set to convert in background or something but I'm not sure.  Hope you find a solution to this problem.

• Nick Holmes Level 7 Level 7

You would be better off exporting a master file to QuickTime with Current Settings & Self Contained.

Then use Compressor to make the AVI files from that.

Compressor can be set up to use all the cores of your CPU:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_compressor_with_multiple_cores. html

• cdutoit62 Level 1 Level 1

Thank you for your quick response & valuable recommendations.  Tried exporting to quicktime however & this too was showing at least 3 hours conversion time for 15min of video.  Then I would still have to take it to compressor to convert to AVI which may take another couple of hours.  What is strange is that this in on a new quad core macbook pro running FCP 7.  I previously worked on a dual core macbook pro 2.0Ghz which seems to handle this tasks much faster.

• RatVega™ Level 4 Level 4

You don't mention what format "some HD files" are being brought in as...

If you are capturing HDV (for example) your output could be 5-7X that required if you were working with ProRes.

Moral: If the work was faster on a 2.0GHz MacBook, you're on the lower fringe of the minimum processor requirements. Use the tools Apple provides (like ProRes) to maximumize your efficiency, but make a more powerful system a priority if you're going to be doing much of this kind of work.