Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Mac Keeper and is it SAFE?

Mac 20 desk Top, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 7:08 AM

Not needed and not worth the money.

Stay away from it as far as you can !!

Stefan

14 replies

Oct 20, 2011 7:30 AM in response to orionsm42

Try Applejack. It may help speed things up.

Download:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/applejack/

Article on using:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10334620-263.html?tag=mfiredir

It runs in single user mode, where it runs more safely than other maintenance/cleaning programs because there is less chance of interference from the OS. After installing (you won't see it in the Applications Folder) hold CMD-S at startup. You will get a black screen with MS-DOS like text. Just follow the prompts: type in "applejack AUTO" and it will run through the following:

Correct any Disk problems.

Repair Permissions.

Clear out Cache Files.

Repair/check several plist files.

Dump the VM files for a fresh start.

Trash old Log files.

You can also run tasks selectively and for specific users by typing in "applejack." After running in "AUTO," you can go back and run it again as "applejack," steps 3 & 4 only, for your user.

The first reboot will take much longer than usual, as it rebuilds caches. It may take several restarts to see the benefits. Because of the deep cache cleaning in AUTO mode some applications may tell you they are being opened for the first time.

NOT YET UPDATED FOR LION

(Adapted from post by BDAqua)

Oct 20, 2011 12:02 PM in response to mellielovessummer

mellielovessummer wrote:

MacKeeper is a virus. My son thought it was legitimate and installed it. We took it to Apple and had it removed. Also known as MacDefender. I agree...stay far away from it!

Probably a different MacKeeper. One of the versions of the MacDefender Trojan (there are no OS X viruses) was called MacKeeper. But the "legitimate" (legitimate in quotes and used very advisedly) MacKeeper is almost as bad.

Oct 20, 2011 12:46 PM in response to mellielovessummer

MacKeeper is NOT a virus. It is a commerical application. I have two installs of MacKeeper.

See zeobit.com website

http://mackeeper.zeobit.com/?affid=mzb_2849570222&utm_source=mackeeper_brand&utm _medium=google_search&utm_campaign=mackeeper_brand&utm_term=&utm_content=&userDe finer=mzb_2308&installer=&trt=5&gclid=CJbpn9OC-KsCFaYbQgod9Edxxw&tid_ext=0000000 020

Now with that said - I have mixed opinions about MacKeeper. It's virus scan is very CPU intensive and I only use it about once every three months to do checks. It has indeed found some genuine malware attached to e-mails that were targeted at PCs. So while I don't worry as much about malware, there are good reasons to use caution and "common sense" even with a Mac. Common Sense is a difficult thing these days..... Sometimes you need to look carefully or have an overall view and stategy to minimize problems.

First rule, if you do not go looking for a application and/or are unsure of whether you want or need an application, then do not install it. This is particularly well illustrated by the malware that appears to be an Abode Flash updater that offers to upgrade your version of Flash when you go to a website that has been infected with this trojan.

See

Fake Adobe Flash malware seeks to disable Mac OS X anti-malware protection

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/19/fake_adobe_flash_malware_seeks_to_ disable_mac_os_x_anti_malware_protection.html

Oct 20, 2011 1:19 PM in response to WZZZ

I think we are into the realm of opinion and that is fine.

What is your specific experience that makes you say this?

Do you have a specific experience? I do and am will to share it. I don't recommend MacKeeper currently because the software is very resource intensive and can bring one's system to it's knees when running diagnostics but their customer service and the price of getting this customer service ( free as part of the software. ) is not bad.

Terry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.