You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want iCloud to support windows XP

What do you think? Let's let apple know we think this is a grave mistake, if your like me you love apple products, but want them to know when they have made a mistake. If you you want apple to correct their mistake and enable iCloud to work with windows XP then like this post. Let your voice be heard.

Icloud-OTHER, Windows XP

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 7:37 AM

13 replies

Oct 21, 2011 9:40 AM in response to curtisfromcedar park

I don't know the actual statistics, but I believe many people decided to upgrade their old XP systems to Mac as opposed to Vista or Win7 (I'm one of them). Since I still have one foot in XP for legacy reasons (via VM) and also have a separate desktop with XP, I would really appreciate if Apple could seamlessly bridge my worlds by providing XP support. So you got my vote...

The installed base of active XP users must still be huge, and considering that Microsoft's support for XP is waning, I would think that anything that Apple could do to help provide a bridge to other XP users would be good business.

Right now, I use Chrome as my browser, so sync'ing bookmarks cross-platform is a snap. I was hoping Safari/iCloud could take over this functionality, but no, not for the XP side.

Since my company has hosted Exchange (one of Microsoft's cloud offerings), email sync between Mac and XP is handled by virtue of MS Office being installed on both systems. Also, it was very easy to connect my iPhone to the Exchange server too. So mail is taken care of outside of Apple/iCloud here too. It all works, but I would not call it seamless.

For cross-platform file sync, it is hard to beat Dropbox, at least for 2GB worth of storage. Here again is another lost opportunity for Apple/iCloud. I heard that Apple tried to acquire Dropbox, but since that didn't happen, it may be that Apple comes up with something equal or better to it...but here again, if XP support is not an option, I will have to stay with my collection of parts to provide the bridges.

Oct 21, 2011 11:06 AM in response to curtisfromcedar park

I'm a mobile me user and have been using the idisk for all my data transfers/some storage between platforms. Our hospital systems run on older windows and can only access the hospital network remotely through XP pro on the pc. IDisk had been working really well for me. But now with the icloud looming and mobile me services set to discontinue in the new year, I will be stuck using something else. I am very dissappointed that icloud doesn't support xp pro.

Oct 21, 2011 11:17 PM in response to curtisfromcedar park

I've migrated to the cloud but (I made another post in a different thread too) but find the only documents I can put on the cloud is keynote/pages/numbers from what I can figure out so far. So pretty useless for me - was using mobile me idisk to transfer files/keep files from both platforms but icloud can't really be used for that. Also, since moving to the cloud (upgrading to lion), I no longer can get the idisk icon and have to log on to mobile me to get acess to the files and have to download/upload each file (can't use it like a disk drive). 😠

Oct 22, 2011 8:41 AM in response to Sjazbec

It is not ridiculous to want support for XP, which still has an installed base in the many millions. Chrome has it. Dropbox has it. Even Safari and iTunes has it. My earlier point was by so doing, more people might be inclined to consider more Apple products, which would be a good thing for us all, wouldn't it?

And don't get me started about lack of Snow Leopard support. I think we have every right to complain.

Oct 22, 2011 9:22 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Well, that's a good point, why complain here?...

One the one hand, it seems many others simply want to express themselves (it is a "forum" after all). That was my intent, simply to add my voice.

On the other hand, it would probably be more productive to provide feedback directly to Apple, which I did and would encourage others to do. And, just a suggestion, constructive feedback will probably go farther than negative rants.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Nov 23, 2011 2:06 AM in response to curtisfromcedar park

There is a simple hack to get iCloud control panel to work on Windows XP to give you synced access to Contacts, Calenders, Reminders and Bookmarks. It also can be used to set up your me.com mail. Photostream doesn't work.

I found a solution here, have written it up in clearer english and added details re IMAP support for me.com addresses here:

http://xlii.be/s/1ii

In summary:

You need:

The iCloud setup hack for Windows XP:

1. DownloadiCloud Control Panel for Windows.
  2. Open iCloudSetup.exe file with WinRar or 7-Zip and extract.
  3. Navigate to and open the iCloud.msi or iCloud64.msi (for 64bit systems) with Orca.
  4. In the left table select LaunchCondition. Then change in the right table “VersionNT> = 600” to “VersionNT> = 200” and Save.
  5. Run modified iCloud.msi and install.
  6. Run iCloud Control Panel, located in the Windows Control Panel, and set up as you want.

I've had reports that you need to keep the files extracted from the .exe file in the same directory during installaton of the .msi file.

Have fun!

On the point whether Apple should spend time and resources setting up, testing on and supporting such an old operating system as Windows XP - I'd rather they spent time and money developing new products and software. Can you imagine the number of support requests that would arise if they simply let it work on Windows XP? And all the issues that it would cause on thousands of very different XP installations and configurations that wouldn't be as a result of Apple's software but the user's machine?

I want iCloud to support windows XP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.