Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing pdf image into keynote - transparency problems

Hi, I am fairly new to keynote but have a problem. When I use the select tool in preview to copy an image from a pdf document and paste it into a slide in keynote I notice that SOMETIMES (depends on the pdf) , the image pastes with a transparent background (instead of a plain white background). I don't understand why this is happening or what I can do to change it. Also, the same image is very hard to manipulate: for instance in order to drag it to a different spot on the slide you have to try multiple times to click the exact point on the image where it allows you to drag, otherwise clicking initiaes a new selection box. Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 8:25 AM

3 replies

Oct 20, 2011 12:07 PM in response to menatesto

I will propose two ways to avoid the transparency in the white backround:

1. Use the select tool to select the image you want. Then instead of copy pasting directly to keynote, do the following. Copy your selection and select FILE -> NEW FROM CLIPBOARD. A new window will appear, with your image. Then save this picture (as a .jpeg for example) and import it to keynote.
  2. Another option is not to use the select tool. Instead try the key combination : cmd - Shift - 4. In this way you can print screen a selected part of your screen. The captured image will appear directly on your desktop and you can drag it immediately to your keynote.

Also if you have difficulties placing your image where you want: Place it with the mouse approximately to where you desire and then use the arrow keys to find the exact spot.

Hope i helped!

Oct 21, 2011 5:07 AM in response to menatesto

I think this is a case of Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away.

We have a rendition of a PDF which allows its text to be searchable and copyable, but in some cases like your's it renders it on importing into Keynote with a transparent background.

Easiest solution is to place it on your slide in the size and orientation you desire for the final image. Then go to the Shapes icon and select a square, change the colour to white, with no outline, and resize it to be slightly larger than the transparent image. Place it over the image then send it to the back. If you're happy with the look of it, then select both images and group them.

Two provisos: there is no need to stick with a white background, choose whatever colour suits your message, butleai g the writing legible. Secondly, the grouped image has some limitations with regard to shadows, borders and reflections. So do these transformations to the individual images first before you group them.

Regards

Les Posen

<URL Edited by Host>

Importing pdf image into keynote - transparency problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.