Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers '09 v2.1: Currency cell does not display correctly number decimals

Since installation of Numbers '09 v2.1 I observe annoying problem in some tables. The Currency formatted cell does not show correct number of number decimals, UNLESS I turn Accounting Style on:

In a typical case:

• the cell is formatted as Currency, US Dollar ($), Decimals = 3, rest is inactive
  • after I enter in the cell 0.038, the cell displays "$ 0.040" and the editing field shows "$ 0.04" !!!
  • the content of the cell is correct, although!
  • Increasing the Decimals to 4 does not alters the number, just decimals in the cell, "$ 0.0400"
  • changing of Currency and activating Thousands Separator does not change the displayed cell number
  • only activating Accounting Style causes the cell currency number to be displayed correctly in the cell and in the editing field!
  • activating Accounting Style is not optimal for me

Any help or advice?

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.93GHz/8GB/500GB (7200rpm)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 9:13 AM

6 replies

Oct 20, 2011 10:11 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

1. Went to another account, opened copy of the same table, result is same

2. Moved com.apple.iWork09.plist from Library

3. Moved com.apple.iWork.Numbers.plist from User Library

4. Tested same table in my user account again, result is same

I am exchanging regularly such tables in Excel form with Windows user and suspect the problem manifested itself (only) in imported tables. The example table is imported from Windows Excel.

I never had such a problem on any version prior to v2.1

Oct 20, 2011 10:42 AM in response to Dimitar Ratchev

Dimitar Ratchev wrote:

Since installation of Numbers '09 v2.1 I observe annoying problem in some tables. The Currency formatted cell does not show correct number of number decimals, UNLESS I turn Accounting Style on:

In a typical case:

• the cell is formatted as Currency, US Dollar ($), Decimals = 3, rest is inactive
  • after I enter in the cell 0.038, the cell displays "$ 0.040" and the editing field shows "$ 0.04" !!!
  • the content of the cell is correct, although!
  • Increasing the Decimals to 4 does not alters the number, just decimals in the cell, "$ 0.0400"
  • changing of Currency and activating Thousands Separator does not change the displayed cell number
  • only activating Accounting Style causes the cell currency number to be displayed correctly in the cell and in the editing field!
  • activating Accounting Style is not optimal for me

Any help or advice?

I'm puzzled.

Here,

When I insert 0,038 (French system) and apply currency two decimals,

I get 0,04 in the cell and 0,038 in the edit area.

When I insert 0,038 (French system) and apply currency three decimals,

I get 0,038 in the cell and 0,038 in the edit area.

When I insert 0,038 (French system) and apply currency four decimals,

I get 0,0380 in the cell and 0,038 in the edit area.

The thousand separator apply only to the integer part of the numbers, not to decimal places.

The com.apple.iWork09.plist file (from Library) has no impact upon the app's behavior, it contain only identifiers (including the registration code).

Of course, I would be glad to receive such a file to look at it in depth.

You may click my blue name to get my address (of course the interesting file is the original XL one).

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 20 octobre 2011 19:41:43

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Oct 20, 2011 12:21 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Your example shows correct behavior, my results are below:

KOENIG Yvan wrote:

I'm puzzled.

Here,

When I insert 0,038 (French system) and apply currency two decimals,

I get 0,04 in the cell and 0,038 in the edit area. $ 0.04 in both

When I insert 0,038 (French system) and apply currency three decimals,

I get 0,038 in the cell and 0,038 in the edit area. $ 0.040 in cell, $ 0.04 in edit

When I insert 0,038 (French system) and apply currency four decimals,

I get 0,0380 in the cell and 0,038 in the edit area. $ 0.0400 in cell, $ 0.04 in edit

After I acivate Accounting Style then my results are identical to your, just $ sign moves to the left

The thousand separator apply only to the integer part of the numbers, not to decimal places. I know, it was mentioned for complettnes

The com.apple.iWork09.plist file (from Library) has no impact upon the app's behavior, it contain only identifiers (including the registration code).

Of course, I would be glad to receive such a file to look at it in depth. I will send you two files, original Excel and imported Number and will describe the problem cell

You may click my blue name to get my address (of course the interesting file is the original XL one). Thank you!

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 20 octobre 2011 19:41:43

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Oct 21, 2011 2:49 AM in response to Badunit

I got the OP's original Excel file.

I opened it with Numbers in 10.6.8 running French, in 10.7.2 running French and in 10.7.2 running Russian and was unable to get the described odd behavior.

As the OP wrote that on his machine the problem strikes in an other account, I must assume that there is something wrong in a file in the huge set of files shared by every accounts.

Honestly, I am unable to guess which one may be the culprit.

It would be a good idea to disable every third party file installed so that only Apple delivered components are at work (which is the case on my machine).

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 21 octobre 2011 11:49:14

Numbers '09 v2.1: Currency cell does not display correctly number decimals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.