Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

L2TP VPN "Send all traffic" & the local subnet

Hello,

I am implementing L2TP VPN with Remote Desktop for iOS, and have run into a small problem. I have unfortunately inherited a network that uses 192.168.1.0/24 for the LAN. Someone with an L2TP VPN configuration who uses that subnet as their home network (that's nearly everyone) can make a VPN connection, but cannot Remote Desktop to their computer at, for example, 192.168.1.44.

Even though "Send all traffic" is checked, I assume this is happening because the iPad is still not sending traffic destined for the local subnet through the VPN connection.

Is that true, am I reading this correctly? I have a small Verizon portable access point here at the office, and if I configure the DHCP server to assign 192.168.0.0/24 or 10.1.1.0/24, the RDP over VPN completes fine.

I would not like to have to reconfigure the users' home networks, to change the WLAN netmask on their iPads, or re-subnet the entire organization at this point. Any workarounds you can suggest to force the RDP request out through the VPN connection?

The only thing I can think of would be a custom route that is conditioned upon a VPN connection being active. To 192.168.1.44, gateway [VPN server IP]/32.

Thanks for reading!

--

Brandon

Network Administrator

http://www.selfenhancement.org/

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 9:39 AM

There are no replies.

L2TP VPN "Send all traffic" & the local subnet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.