Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Music App Problem Resolutions

Music App problems resolved:

I haven't had time to read all of the posts here but I was able to resolve two major issues with the Music App on my iPad after upgrading to iOS 5 and thought they might help those that follow. Apologies if they've already been covered.

1. Playing incorrect tracks/not playing tracks/missing artwork.

Connect iPad to computer > open iTunes > under "Music" tab uncheck "Sync Music" > click "Apply" to sync. (This will remove all music from the iPad. ) Disconnect iPad and shut down iTunes. Reconnect iPad > Open iTunes > under "Music" tab re-check "Sync Music" > Click on "Apply". (This will reinstall all music files and can take some time depending total file size).

2. Music App slow response.

Reset iPad. Press the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case, holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.

That resolved all of the issues I had after upgrading. Hope it helps others.

FWIW I am NOT a big fan of the changes to the original iPod App on the iPad. Hopefully Apple will take note and fix this downgrade.

If you'd like to let Apple know your thoughts about this or any other iPad issues, bugs, etc., use their online feedback form:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 12:04 PM

10 replies

Dec 1, 2011 6:12 AM in response to richsadams

Thanks a lot.. I followed your instructions and I don't have the "missing songs in the playlist" issue anymore. The problem was a bit annoying so I was eagerly waiting for a fix, but at least this workaround keeps me going..

Please note that when I deselected the sync music option in iTunes and tried to sync the phone (and I was told all songs and playlist would be deleted from the phone), that after syncing the phone, there were still lots of songs on it (no playlists though)..

iphone 3Gs w iOS 5.0.1

iTunes to latest rev (not at my MAC right now, can't remember the version)

Jan 30, 2014 9:14 AM in response to richsadams

I've done this already with my iPad Air. The Music app still acts questionably. I can play music fine using Amazon Cloud Reader, Pandora, Spotify and TuneIn Radio, yet Apple's own Music app keeps crashing or stops in mid-song (even if I downloaded the song!). Please help! I already did a full restore procedure and attempted to reset my iPad Air as if it was a brand new tablet again, that did not work either. I really think the Music app needs an update or iOS 7 needs to patch this.

Jan 30, 2014 10:16 AM in response to vespa5

vespa5 wrote:

I've done this already with my iPad Air. The Music app still acts questionably. I can play music fine using Amazon Cloud Reader, Pandora, Spotify and TuneIn Radio, yet Apple's own Music app keeps crashing or stops in mid-song (even if I downloaded the song!). Please help! I already did a full restore procedure and attempted to reset my iPad Air as if it was a brand new tablet again, that did not work either. I really think the Music app needs an update or iOS 7 needs to patch this.

How frustrating! All of the other music players you mentioned are streaming services. Couple of questions...is the music you want to play with the Music App on your iPad Air on iTunes Match or do you have the tracks on the iPad itself? Also, does iTunes Radio (in the Music App) work okay?

If the music is streaming from iTunes Match there may be issues there (WiFi, carrier, iTunes match itself, etc.). If the tracks are saved on your iPad it sounds like there may be an issue with the iPad itself, how the tracks were saved, etc.

FWIW we're using the iOS 7 Music app on two iPhones (5 and 5s) and a new iPad mini Retina...iTunes Match on the iPad and both saved and iTunes Match on the iPhones...without any issues. Although any streaming service can get wonky iTunes Match has been pretty solid of late.

In any case, although it isn't perfect the Music App works pretty well now and I haven't seen a lot of folks posting issues recently so it sounds more like something unusual about your iPad or setup. That said I wouldn't expect an update to change anything.

Ultimately it sounds like you've done everything possible to sort it out. If so the next step would be to either call Apple Support or visit your local Apple Store or authorized Apple Service Center. Your iPad Air is still under warranty so there's no charge for any of what they might have to do up to and including replacing it.

Hope that helps a little, best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Jan 30, 2014 10:28 AM in response to richsadams

Thank you for the reply back! For the record, the songs I've been playing are from albums that I bought directly from iTunes, I downloaded them onto my iPad Air to see if that may fix the issue (while turning off Wifi). I get these weird random crashes still. What's odd is that some songs that are downloaded onto my iPad Air play fine (downloaded) and there are some songs that play perfectly fine via streaming! I just can't figure it out (we're running at 50+ Mbps here in my home).

It is frustrating. I don't generally tinker with iTunes Radio so I don't have an answer to your other question.

I love my brand new iPad Air. I actually just swapped my 16gb for a 32gb one (thanks to a recent $50 discount special at Best Buy). I'll just hold off and wait. I use my iPad Air for a ton of other useful things as well as watch plenty of videos on it quite fine. I'm just disappointed that I can't seem to get the Music app to work properly on it without crashing. Thanks again for the response!

iPad Music App Problem Resolutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.