Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts "On My Mac" vs. "iCloud"

Does anyone know how to get "All Contacts" into both "On My Mac" and "iCloud" without duplicates?

ALSO: When adding a contact from Mail, the contact is created "On My Mac", which doesn't sync via iCloud, so I'd have to manually copy it. Is there a way to have the default be to create the contact in iCloud?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 12:48 PM

19 replies

Aug 5, 2017 6:33 PM in response to Todd Hagopian

I had this same issue after updating my Mac to use iCloud for Contacts. I have thousands of contacts accumulated over two decades of digital use. As another user has stated, the easiest method is to Export all the cards from "On my Mac" to your desktop, then return to Contacts, select iCloud account, and import the desktop vCard file. The current process will give you the option to review all duplicates (yes!), and you can select Mac, iCloud, or Merge both cards for each contact, which you can do one-by-one or select a box to "apply for all cards." It was simple and easy. Thanks to all who had replied earlier!

Oct 20, 2011 1:58 PM in response to Todd Hagopian

Does anyone know how to get "All Contacts" into both "On My Mac" and "iCloud" without duplicates?

You can't. If the same contact exists in both locations, then it exists twice. If you are syncing all your contacts with iCloud, you don't need to have contacts "On my Mac". Only use "On my Mac" contacts for ones you don't want to sync.

Is there a way to have the default be to create the contact in iCloud?

Address Book > Preferences > General > Default account: iCloud

Nov 10, 2011 9:08 PM in response to Todd Hagopian

I have some contacts On-My-Mac that does't appear in iCloud and and I just find out an easy way to copy from one to another... send yourself the contact to your email account, and then open it up in the one you want to add it, that way you don't have to write all the info again... for example, I sent myself a contact from my mac to my email, and then in the iphone, I open up the email, and add it to my contact list, and then instantly, it's in all my mobile devices.

I hope this little trick can hel.p

Nov 12, 2011 6:04 AM in response to Todd Hagopian

luigiview there is an even easier way to do it. instead of sending each individual contact to ur email and then opening it in another device.

all you have to do is click on the group called "all on my mac" then "select all" contacts, right click and export to vCard. export this to the desktop. then, returning to the Address Book make ensure you click on the group called "all on icloud" then after doing this, go to the desktop and open the Vcard file you just created. this worked for me just fine.

Dec 12, 2012 11:44 AM in response to dane_lennon

easier still... (in mountain lion anyway):

-'View' -> Groups

- click the group 'all on my mac', command A (select all)

- drag the onto 'all on icloud'

- follow prompts

- backup your contacts for safe measure (file, export..., archive)

- select all 'all on my mac' and delete

then you'll likely need to clean up some duplicates.

Cheers.

Contacts "On My Mac" vs. "iCloud"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.