Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My backup says it's password protected but I have never locked my backup in iTunes

My backup says it's password protected but I have never locked my backup in iTunes. Can anyone help, please

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 6:05 PM

3 replies

Oct 22, 2011 12:24 PM in response to Lee181

I got that when I was updating my phone. What I had to do was restore as a new phone, and when your phone is connected to itunes, select backup. You should have the option to give your backup a password at this point. So give it a password and let it create a backup. Then go and select 'restore from backup' and select your original backup, when it asks you for a password, give it the password that you just created and it should work.

Sep 1, 2015 11:09 PM in response to kokoryta

When i try that, I do not get a selection of backups from which to restore. The backup is taking the data fro the most recent backup where I set the password per your instructions, and that was a backup at which point my data was already erased.

How were you able to select which backup file was used?

I need to grab the backup file from a few hours ago...how do I find it?

Nov 16, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Lee181

Hi everyone, i had the same issue and i have tried almost every password that i would ever used in my whole life. However, I have found the perfect solution for any MAC user to know what is the password, just follow the steps:

1. Go to Finder/Applications/Utilities/KeyChainAccess.

2. On the top right of the window Write iPhone.

3. in the search result look for "iPhone Backup"

4. Click on Show Password, Enter your Mac password

5. you will get your iTunes backup Password

Enjoy everyone, i hope that i could help as much as i can.

My backup says it's password protected but I have never locked my backup in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.