Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download iTunes 10.5. Error-The update iTunes can't be installed. The following install step failed: run preupgrade script for AppleMobileDeviceSupport. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Can't download iTunes 10.5. Error-The update iTunes can't be installed. The following install step failed: run preupgrade script for AppleMobileDeviceSupport. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

iMac

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 7:33 PM

25 replies

Oct 28, 2011 5:36 PM in response to crazycreek

I went to the Apple store and talked to them. They said this might be happening in the older operating systems. That does not make sense; surely they want us to buy from iTunes. I recently purchased the iPhone4S, so I will call in saying I have a question about the phone, then ask about not being able to download iTunes 10.5. CrazyCreek, I did close the iTunes window; it did not work for me. I will keep everyone else posted when I call Apple on Monday.

Oct 31, 2011 8:47 AM in response to joyce803

I had the same problem this weekend. The iphone 4s needed Itunes10.5 to sync to her Asus Windows 7 Laptop. When I tried to download from the Apple website I got the error that the windows installer was missings files or something like that. I uninstalled itunes and tried again but that didn't work. Then I redownloaded itunes 10.3 just to have a working version in case I gave up. Then I found site that suggested I update Windows by going through the start menu and while doing that I found an update Apple itunes file.

Goto Start and type Widows Update in the seach window. Click on check for updates (I already was current with all updates but I suggest you download the updates if there are some available.

Goto start and this time just type update in the search window. Look for the Apple itunes update link and click on it. It found there were updates for itunes 10.5, Quick time, Safari, and Icloud. I checked all the updates except for Safari, since we don't use it (yet).

The install started then seemed to stall at one spot for ~3min but then completed successfully. I open itunes and had her synced with Outlook Contact, Email, Calender, and Notes in 5 minutes. I did already configure Outlook by going to tools and Trust Center.

I hope this works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.