Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

!!!DATA LOSS!!! Lion falls asleep, breaks active shared drives

Lion falls asleep and breaks active connection to shared drivers. This is from Snow Leapeord that is reading/writing to a drive being shared by Lion. If I don't have someone present, moving the mouse on the Lion machine, the connection will die a horrible death and any data reading/writing stops in its tracks. Nice?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 3:49 PM

Just a followup. I went ahead and re-installed (vs upgrade) a fresh copy of Lion on my less then a year old, top-of-the-line iMac. Most problems have been resolved. Occasionally the mouse pointer still turns invisible which is very annoying. But conductivity has been greatly improved. So has stability.

My only compliant is STILL DATA LOSS!!! Networking between Snow Leopard (multiple machines) and Lion is highly unreliable. Connections still drop, resulting in half file transfers and complete DATA LOSS. This doesn't happen between Snow Leopard machines, only between SL and Lion. The fact that this happens at all makes Lion simply unworthy of use. My only work around thus far is to abandon Lion. It is simply not usable.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2011 3:49 PM in response to scarroll

Just a followup. I went ahead and re-installed (vs upgrade) a fresh copy of Lion on my less then a year old, top-of-the-line iMac. Most problems have been resolved. Occasionally the mouse pointer still turns invisible which is very annoying. But conductivity has been greatly improved. So has stability.

My only compliant is STILL DATA LOSS!!! Networking between Snow Leopard (multiple machines) and Lion is highly unreliable. Connections still drop, resulting in half file transfers and complete DATA LOSS. This doesn't happen between Snow Leopard machines, only between SL and Lion. The fact that this happens at all makes Lion simply unworthy of use. My only work around thus far is to abandon Lion. It is simply not usable.

Dec 27, 2011 3:55 PM in response to scarroll

scarroll wrote:

This doesn't happen between Snow Leopard machines, only between SL and Lion. The fact that this happens at all makes Lion simply unworthy of use. My only work around thus far is to abandon Lion. It is simply not usable.

There in may lie your problem. I don't see how this makes Lion unusable for the millions who have downloaded it though. Sometimes OS's will clash, especially if some are running incompatable programs to the other. I would tend to do a forum search and see if anybody else has seen this issue and how they may have solved it.

Good Luck

Dec 27, 2011 4:17 PM in response to scarroll

scarroll wrote:

It doesn't happen between Snow Leopard and Lion either. Quoting http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1776 :

Note: Hard disk activity does not prevent display sleep, but it does prevent system sleep. It is not uncommon for the display to sleep before the system goes to sleep if both types of sleep are set to occur after the same length of inactivity.

!!!DATA LOSS!!! Lion falls asleep, breaks active shared drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.