Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPCU 3.4 and Network Settings

I am trying to use the IPCU to create a configuration profile that has our wireless and proxy settings.

When I put the configuration on an iPad 2 that was upgraded to IOS 5 I can browse my local private network but I can not get to the internet. It looks like the iPad is not connecting to the proxy. When I check the settings on the iPad they are all correct. I have tried to use both a pac file for the proxy and manualy putting in the IP adderess but neither of those settings worked.

When I wipe out the iPad and manualy put all the wireless and proxy settings in everything works fine.

I have wiped out this iPad a few times but every time I use IPCU to push the proxy settings the iPad just ignores the proxy settings.

Has anyone else gotten IPCU to work with the proxy settings?

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 5:38 AM

15 replies

Oct 21, 2011 9:50 AM in response to CCSD15TECH

CCS I had the same experience you did using a ATT iPhone 4 upgraded to iOS 5...I'm going to talk to our wireless team and see what they can figure out..I'll be back if I find anything out. I was able to browse out internal network OK with cellular data turned off, wi-fi on, but it seemed to choke on the proxy server to get out to the internet. I tried it auto and manual, with and without entering the proxy credentials...without the credentials, I wasn't prompted by Safari for the proxy credentials from the browser page either...

Oct 25, 2011 10:22 PM in response to CCSD15TECH

We are having the same problem. The proxy settings in the profile look like they have deployed (they are visible and correct in the settings on the iPad), but the iPad doesn't actually try to use the proxy. If you then go into the settings on the iPad and manually delete and re-enter one character in the server name, it all works. It's as though there's an internal flag that's not being set by the profile, but when you edit the string in the iPad settings, it is fixed and it all works from there.

Oct 26, 2011 12:21 PM in response to CCSD15TECH

We are having sort of the same issue. But we don't get any proxy settings on the device at all, though they are specified in the .mobileconfig file.

having investigated the file further, I've found out that there er 2 further options, which is disabled (set to 0). I don't know exactly what thees options does (http and https), but expect that they might have something to do with the issue in question.

<key>Proxies</key>

<dict>

<key>HTTPEnable</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>HTTPSEnabled</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>ProxyAutoConfigEnabled</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>ProxyAutoConfigUrlString</key>

<string>http://proxy.aalborg.dk/proxy.pac</string>

<key>ProxyAutoDeicoveryEnabled</key>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

Nov 9, 2011 7:26 PM in response to CCSD15TECH

For my case, we do not enter the proxy info in iPhone Confug Utility, we only use that to enforce password policy.

Manually entering the proxy config in iOS 5 iPad works. However, many apps (e.g. activating iMessage, Adding additional email account for Gmail etc) do no work because I discovered that even with correct proxy config configured, I do not see any hits in my proxy server when trying the above mentioned. In other words, they are totally ignoring the proxy config and tried to connect direct instead.

Apple should really work on this to ensure iOS 5 works semalessly with proxy in a coporate network environment.

Dec 13, 2011 9:49 AM in response to CCSD15TECH

Just to confirm - the exact same experience through MDM profile (using MobileIron). The Wi-Fi profile is successfully received by the iPad/iPhone and appears to have picked up the pac file url - but the connection never works until the url has been manually edited (as above, removing and readding a character is enough - so the end result is that the url string is unchanged). However, this is then overwritten by the MDM delivered profile within a few hours, so it must be continually changed.

It seems at present that the feature (setting pac file url for Wi-Fi through configuration profile) quite simply does not work. Worse than this, we cannot even go back to the previous situation of the URL being manually configured during deployment without rolling back our MDM version since there is no option in the profile for "unconfigured" - proxy is either set to manual, auto or off (and this then keeps overwriting any manual setting). Ideally this should be resolved by Apple ASAP - can anyone from Apple confirm whether this is being investigated/corrected in the next minor revision of iOS?

We attempted a manual proxy setting (which is less desirable as there is no means of configuring zones/ip addresses that should bypass the proxy), but this also does not work.

Mar 8, 2012 5:51 AM in response to CCSD15TECH

I have installed iOS 5.1 and installed th latest iPhone Configuration Utility 3.5 for Windows and still having the issue where I cannot add the proxy.

I was looking forward to the update as many developers said it would fix this issue but has not.

Some users are reporting that the Mac version is working. Anyone can confirm this? Is anyone got it working on their Windows PC?

IPCU 3.4 and Network Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.