Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I name cell(s) in numbers. Then, how can I quickly "goto" the named cell(s)

How do I name cell(s) in numbers. Then, how can I quickly "goto" the named cell(s)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2), How do I name cell(s) in numbers.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 9:54 AM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2011 12:00 PM in response to helenfromnorthernontario

Helen,

OK. That first sheet is huge, isn't it?!

Some generalities: You can get to each sheet and each table in a sheet by clicking on it's name in the Sheets Pane, on the left. This is an important navigational tool, and as such it can't be hidden, as some would like.

You also have the Find and Replace function which works well if you know what you are looking for.

Every cell is named, as in: SheetName :: TableName :: ColumnName RowName

However, there isn't any command to jump to an address in a table. The design philosophy for Numbers seems to have been that you have finer granularity in table size; that is, more tables, but smaller ones. This way if you click on a table name in the Sheets Pane, you get to where you can then see the entire table and click into it wherever you wish. With 1500 rows and 86 columns, that doesn't work so well. If the layout can't be adapted to Numbers, perhaps Numbers isn't the right tool for the job.

That said, there's a little trick that I've used. You can make a tiny table, perhaps just one cell, and use it as a marker for the location to jump to in a bigger area. For instance if you name your little marker table "Location 1" and set it adjacent to the 1200th row in the big first table, then when you click on "Location 1" in the Sheets Pane, you will find the focus has shifted to right next to that row. You can drag that marker table around as needed, or create more or them.

Jerry

Oct 21, 2011 12:13 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

These worksheets keep track of all of my financial bank and credit card transactions by month. Each transaction is posted to an expense or income category.

The first sheet grows as the year grows.

The final 13 rows in this first sheet is a monthly summary. and the final row is a yearly summary.

In the past, I tried doing this by month with 12 sheets and a summary sheet but when I change a category (column heading) I am forever fixing it in the other sheets. Having the one giant first sheet works best for me. I have lots of memory so there is no problem that way.

However I need to have cells named such as Jantot, Febtot, Martot etc so that they will automatically be placed in the summary in the bottom rows.

The second sheet is just a "blank" month that I insert each month.

The third sheet is for other information

I checked on the discussion page and found another person who advised me to use Excel after all. I am beginning to think that I should buy Office for Mac. Then I will be able to transfer data and my existing "skills" without having to relearn a different Spreadsheet and Word Processor.

Oct 21, 2011 12:49 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

But using you trick with little markers is not the solution. I will have at least 3 per month = 36 little markers to jum to and then 12 for the summary. It is sounding complicated and I don't know how to "jump" I think that I will stick with what I know. Purchasing Office is not that expensive. Also I do a lot of work with tables in Word and have not even had time to look at the Pages application. Purchasing Office is easier that spending time on a new learning curve. I will save that for digital photo editing instead.

Thanks for your help. It made my decision easier.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.