Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac book cannot see the pc on my local network

I am running mac book pro with snow leapard and it does not see my PC running windows 7 on my local network. PC also does not Mac Book. I have a network using time capsule.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 10:04 AM

1 reply

Oct 23, 2011 11:23 AM in response to pilot887

The Mac is capable of being a File Sharing Server using multiple different protocols, but only after you enable that service in

System Preferences > Sharing

If you want to use standard Windows "Server Message Block" (SMB) File Sharing protocol, there are additional screens there you will have to fill out.

In addition you need to have a Guest Account present on your Mac, and it must be enabled for File Sharing (but not necessarily for login).

Windows computers do not acknowledge that there are ANY other kinds of computers in the world, so not providing its files to share is expected behavior. But here are instructions if you want to bad enough:

Mac OS X 10.7 Help: Set up a Windows computer to share files with Mac users

If all you really wanted was Printer sharing, install Bonjour for Windows to make the Printers visible to your Mac:

Bonjour Print Services for Windows

My mac book cannot see the pc on my local network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.