Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime files won't close

there are 10 files that everytime I open quicktime they are "open". the same with preview, any time i click on the red x, it looks like it closes but it's still open

I'm running QT v10.1, preview 5.5.1, Lion 10.7.2

Quicktime-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 11:00 AM

8 replies

Oct 21, 2011 11:36 AM in response to sliqjonz

Lion includes a "resume" feature. When you open any Apple application, do some work or view files Lion "remembers" what files you had open and opens those files the next time you open the app.

Quit the apps and the next time you open it all of those files will open again.

Hold down the shift key while you open the app. This "discards" the previously opened windows.

When you're ready to quit an app hold down the option key. This also discards previous windows.

Jan 6, 2012 3:27 PM in response to sliqjonz

This is very poor and very microsoft... I'm so disappointed in Apple, the support people want me to pay to get a solution to this.. I've got my amazing iMac on my desktop and my video's won't play properly in the standard player. Absolute rubbish. It's all going down hill for Apple... they've taken away frontrow as well!! Stupid decision! pointless having a remote now.

I can't believe so many people are experiencing this and Apple haven't come up with a solution yet. When I find out how top delete Quicktime without affecting itunes I will.

But here's the best solution so far;

1. Right click on any AVI file

2. Select get info

3. Select open with and choose VLC

4. Click on the change All button below

5. Happy viewing

I've convinced at least 10 people to switch to mac's umpteen people I work with have purchased iphones because of me and how I've promoted the quality of Apple over their rivals..no more.

Quicktime files won't close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.