Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage labeling with separate Apple IDs

So the parties involved are my wife, daughter, and myself. All using iMessage. I sent a message via iPhone iOS 5 to wife using an iPad iOS 5. My daughter using iPhone iOS 5, who is an innocent bystander, received my message but... It said it came from my wife. Also when my wife received the message it labeled it as if it came from herself.

We all have individual Apple IDs for iCloud. We share an Apple ID for iTunes. All devices verified that iCloud IDs are what they should be and IDs on messages are separate.

Confused!! Please help.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 9:55 PM

Ok so I think I fixed it. Basically under settings you have the iCloud, messages, and store. Under the iCloud and messages you need to have the same Apple ID. Under store you have the Apple ID that your family shares for purchases through iTunes.

Now you need to make sure that in contacts all the email addresses match that persons email address used for the messages and iCloud. If not the name displayed when you receive a message will be the name of the person associated with that email.

Confusing but now it all works.

So in summary all things need to match in iCloud, messages, and contacts.

Hope that helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2011 9:55 PM in response to cdbarreras

Ok so I think I fixed it. Basically under settings you have the iCloud, messages, and store. Under the iCloud and messages you need to have the same Apple ID. Under store you have the Apple ID that your family shares for purchases through iTunes.

Now you need to make sure that in contacts all the email addresses match that persons email address used for the messages and iCloud. If not the name displayed when you receive a message will be the name of the person associated with that email.

Confusing but now it all works.

So in summary all things need to match in iCloud, messages, and contacts.

Hope that helps.

iMessage labeling with separate Apple IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.