Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song will quit playing in the middle and then jump to the next song.?

I never had this problem until today. i have been listening to this song the whole way through over a dozen times and now it just stops at 5:19 every time through. this is a 9:21 song. if you try to go beyond the 5:19 mark, it just skips to the next song. there is no avoiding it. i made sure that the stop time was at the right time and everything. this is the only song in my entire library that does this. any suggestions???

Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 9:47 AM

I solved a similar issue, where some songs in my itunes library would play to some random point and then skip to the next song. It started when I replaced my computer, so I copied over my library to my new computer and went through installing and importing on my new machine. When I noticed this behavior for random songs, here's what I found.

The affected files were .m4p files I'd purchased from the itunes store. This had nothing to do with activating them with my Apple account, which I did. The easiest way I found to identify the affected files was to view all your music in itunes, right click on any of the column headers, and select 'kind' so that column shows. Then order your music by the 'kind' column, and scroll down until you reach the songs where kind = 'Protected AAC audio file' (not to be confused with Purchased AAC audio file, which were unaffected in my case). Highlight just those 'Protected AAC audio file' songs, copy them, and paste them in some temporary directory. Back in itunes, now delete these hightlighted songs (I chose to keep the files rather than permanently delete them, but I think either would work).

Before adding these songs back to your library, if you want them pulled into your library directory rather than left in temp, make sure in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > check off Copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library.

Then in itunes, click File > Add file to library > browse to your temp directory > select all files > and click Open to add these files back to your library. After that, all my previously disfunctional files exhibited normal playback.
I hope you find this before you waste many hours on this like I did.
Good Luck, A.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2011 9:47 AM in response to dsgamenut

I solved a similar issue, where some songs in my itunes library would play to some random point and then skip to the next song. It started when I replaced my computer, so I copied over my library to my new computer and went through installing and importing on my new machine. When I noticed this behavior for random songs, here's what I found.

The affected files were .m4p files I'd purchased from the itunes store. This had nothing to do with activating them with my Apple account, which I did. The easiest way I found to identify the affected files was to view all your music in itunes, right click on any of the column headers, and select 'kind' so that column shows. Then order your music by the 'kind' column, and scroll down until you reach the songs where kind = 'Protected AAC audio file' (not to be confused with Purchased AAC audio file, which were unaffected in my case). Highlight just those 'Protected AAC audio file' songs, copy them, and paste them in some temporary directory. Back in itunes, now delete these hightlighted songs (I chose to keep the files rather than permanently delete them, but I think either would work).

Before adding these songs back to your library, if you want them pulled into your library directory rather than left in temp, make sure in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > check off Copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library.

Then in itunes, click File > Add file to library > browse to your temp directory > select all files > and click Open to add these files back to your library. After that, all my previously disfunctional files exhibited normal playback.
I hope you find this before you waste many hours on this like I did.
Good Luck, A.

Dec 11, 2011 9:26 PM in response to dsgamenut

A few of my songs have been doing this, some of them are tracks that I personally ripped from CD USING iTUNES! Apple looking into this issue yet?

iTunes 10.5.1

A particular track will skip at the same time every time.

I removed the track from library re-imported, nothing.

I changed the name of the track re-imported, nothing.

Played song through quicktime and there is no skips at all.

WTH

Jan 19, 2012 11:38 PM in response to hopetohelp

@ Hopetohelp,

I tried your suggested solution, but I don't have any of those "Protected AAC" Files. I was really hoping that was the fix.

I fit the same category of the majority of us experiencing this problem. Many new machines, music backed up on an Ext Hard Drive, and many updates/upgrades to iTunes etc... It started with my Bob Marley collection (which I can't find anything extraorinarily wrong with), then it seemed to spread... Now, a vast majority of my favorite music has been "contaminated".

As I am a huge Mac supporter, I use my iPods & iPhone at work as music players (for all of us to listen to). Many of my colleagues (PC lovers) always SEEK ways/avenues to kick Mac products. When my iPhone skips songs, it eats me up, and it allows the Mac haters a valid reason for them to poke and prod @ Mac. I am getting tired of defending these products when it is nearly impossible to get actual Apple support, ya know.

This has been an ongoing complaint for almost 4 years, why isn't Apple doing anything about this yet? If they have done something about it, why isn't it easier to find the solution?

Song will quit playing in the middle and then jump to the next song.?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.