Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro G5 Fails to start

i have a Mac Pro 5G (yes it is old - no intel chips). today i went to start it up and it failed to start. it is plugged into a Balkin battery back up.

When i pressed the power button, i got the gray start up screen with apple Icon and spinning curser. it just stayed spinning and the fans ran faster and faster until they were screaming at me. i had to hold the power button to force it to shut down.

when i tried to start it again, it started the boot, chimmed once then did nothing...no gray screen, logo or nothing. i repeated the process severa times without change.

i disconnected all the peripherals, with no change.

i then pulled 2 of the 4 RAM chips. tried booting and again it hung, swapped the chips and tried again...she started up. thinking i had a bad RAM chip, i tried to put them back in (one at a time). it froze up again......still thinking it was a ram chip, i dropped down to the two that worked, and it hung again.

i did get it running at one point, logged in it would suddenly go to sleep, i would enter a password to unlock the screen saver and it would then go back to sleep. finally it would not wake back up.

So i am at a loss. things that come to mind: Logic board, hard drive or power supply. unless there is an under volt, i don't think it is the power supply.

any other thoughts?

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 6:03 AM

Hi-

Not a Mac Pro G5... If it is PPC, it is a Power Mac G5, aka a G5. Mac Pro ONLY refers to Intel powered towers.....

Your issue could very well be related to solder joint degradation in and around RAM slot and memory controller in the logic board.

This is a well known issue, and systems from low lead solders used just after the adoption of the RoHS recommendations.

The condition is usually terminal, though a solder reflow can potentially "repair" the issue for quite some time.

A troubleshooting technique is to use a hair dryer to heat the logic board around the RAM slots to hot, then start up.

If the machine starts, it is likely due to reconnection of joints due to expansion from heat.

Of course, failure to boot doesn't necessarily mean that the issue isn't with solder, as the worst boards will not respond to heating.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2011 6:03 AM in response to GilTaylor

Hi-

Not a Mac Pro G5... If it is PPC, it is a Power Mac G5, aka a G5. Mac Pro ONLY refers to Intel powered towers.....

Your issue could very well be related to solder joint degradation in and around RAM slot and memory controller in the logic board.

This is a well known issue, and systems from low lead solders used just after the adoption of the RoHS recommendations.

The condition is usually terminal, though a solder reflow can potentially "repair" the issue for quite some time.

A troubleshooting technique is to use a hair dryer to heat the logic board around the RAM slots to hot, then start up.

If the machine starts, it is likely due to reconnection of joints due to expansion from heat.

Of course, failure to boot doesn't necessarily mean that the issue isn't with solder, as the worst boards will not respond to heating.

Mac Pro G5 Fails to start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.