Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After loading photos onto new 4s have duplicate albums. How do I fix?

After downloading all my photos to my new iPone 4s I looked under ALBUMS and I have:

Camera Roll and photo stream ( what is photo stream ?) then Photo Library (which has the 500+ images I downloaded in it ) and then it also has an album called My iPhone Photos whose contents mirrors exactly the contents of the Photo Library album.

I had exported all my photos from iPhoto into a folder named My iPhone Photos and imported them by syncing the new phone with iTunes import photos pointed at the My iPhone Photos folder.

I can't seem to delete either the Photo Library or My iPhone Photos albums from the iPhone 4s.

How can I fix this and get rid of the My iPhones Photos album and leave all the content in Photo Library?

Thanks

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 10:26 AM

4 replies

Oct 22, 2011 10:38 AM in response to leicaman

You do not have duplicate albums or photos.

Photo Stream

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

The Camera Roll is for photos/videos that were captured by your iPhone, and for a photo saved from a received email, MMS, or from a website. These photos are also placed in the Photo Stream to be synced with your computer and/or with another iOS 5 device. Photos/videos in the Camera Roll can and should be imported by your computer as with any other digital camera.

All photos transferred from your computer via the iTunes sync process are stored in the iPhone's Photo Library. The photos in the folders or albums below include a pointer to the original photos stored in the Photo Library. The photos are not duplicated taking up double the storage space. This way you can view the photos in a particular folder or album below only by selecting the folder or album, or you can view all photos in all folders or albums be selecting Photo Library.

This cannot be changed.

Removing photos or folders/albums of photos from your iPhone that were transferred from your computer via the Tunes process is done in the same way - via the iTunes sync process.

Oct 22, 2011 11:04 AM in response to leicaman

Does this mean that I must have bothe a Photo Libray folder AND a My iPhone Photos folder?

Yes.

How would I use iTunes to change it so that I only have the Camera Roll, the Photo Stream and the Photo Library folder ( the Photo Library folder having the same content as that which My iPhones Photos album reflects?

You can't as already provided with my previous post.

The photos are not duplicated and this is designed around transferring multiple folders or albums of photos and not just one. Keep in mind this is designed around a photo management app on a Mac - iPhoto where you can make use of photo albums as well as events and the faces feature. There is an option under the Photos tab for transferring photos from your computer when using iPhoto to transfer selected iPhoto events, albums, and/or faces.

This way you can view the photos in a particular folder or album only on the iPhone by selecting the album or folder, or you can view all photos in all folders or albums by selecting Photo Library. This can't be changed if you choose to transfer a single folder or album of photos, but the photos are not duplicated.

Oct 23, 2011 11:42 AM in response to leicaman

Here is how to delete or modify photo files (events, ambums, faces) that you placed on the IPhone 4s during a prior 'sync' with your Mac (assuming synced photos from IPhoto)

Connect Iphone to Mac. ITunes should open. If not, open Itunes. Click on the Iphone device shown on left side of ITune screen. Then, near top of screen, click on Photos. Click on selection to choose only the photo files from IPhoto that you want on your IPhone. Click apply and then sync (lower right of screen).

The selected photo files will go from IPhoto to the IPhone and the previously selected photo files will be removed from the IPhone. None of this effects what will remain in IPhoto.

The above is not intended to communicate information about moving or keeping photos on the iphone that were taken with the IPhone.

I hope that this helps.

DanFromJersey

After loading photos onto new 4s have duplicate albums. How do I fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.