Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't quit

Since upgrading to Lion, Mail on my iMac frequently will not quit. The Quit item in File Menu is greyed rather than active black. It never seems to recover, and only Force Quit works, and that not all the time! There is no activity shown in the Activity Window.

iMac intel, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 2:55 PM

Having the same problem now. It wasn't a problem after I originally upgraded to Lion, but it has become an issue over the past week or so. I didn't notice it until I wanted to shut down, and would then be alerted that Mail was stopping the Shut Down process.

One note, before I Force Quit (since that's my only option), when I do click on the Message Viewer, all messages appear with message numbers in a sort of list default - which is not how my Mail prefs are set up.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2011 2:55 PM in response to pinotbob

Having the same problem now. It wasn't a problem after I originally upgraded to Lion, but it has become an issue over the past week or so. I didn't notice it until I wanted to shut down, and would then be alerted that Mail was stopping the Shut Down process.

One note, before I Force Quit (since that's my only option), when I do click on the Message Viewer, all messages appear with message numbers in a sort of list default - which is not how my Mail prefs are set up.

Oct 27, 2011 8:37 PM in response to lales

That's how I discovered my Mail problem--a scheduled shutdown wouldn't occur because Mail wouldn't quit.

When Mail is restarted after a Force Quit, a couple of old, deleted messages reappear, which I delete again! I suspect this has something to do with the synching between my Mac and (1) Mobile Me, and since I moved to iCloud, that.

Is nobody else having this problem?

Nov 9, 2011 2:47 PM in response to pinotbob

I have the problem too

Running Lion and MacOffice11 on MBA. MacOffice Mail used to quit OK, but recently (6 weeks) its needed me to forcequit in order to fuly close the app. Frustrating. Any ideas anyone - why do I need to force quit. I choose the option to send to Apple and dont hear anyhing back

I also notice that when I boot by MBA all the other Macoffice11 apps are showing as open in the dock. Odd, as they are not in my startup list.

However, whilst checking my start up list I noiticed something called Microsoft database deamon was included in start up, I read somewhere that this app is specifically for Office notifications. Is this causing the forcequit option? Can I dissable this app? (heavy macoffice user)

Ta

Nov 16, 2011 11:42 AM in response to Chris from California

Problem aggravated in that when I force quit, then reopen, a bunch of incomplete drafts pop up, of emails I have already already sent, or so my Sent folder says. So, now I have to verify that the recipients actually got them. What a waste of time. Apple still infinitely better than MS, but starting to slip by sending out this Beta-version OS.

Feb 23, 2012 12:47 PM in response to pinotbob

Open the Activity window (under the Window menu). One of the Activities shown may be hung up, quit it and mail will now quit.

I upgraded to Lion last week. Mail malfunctioned in various ways--deleted messages reappeared, I couldn't save the draft I was working on. Worse, when I force quit, changes to drafts that I had already saved were lost. Then when it wouldn't quit I looked in the Activity window, chose something random to quit, a frenzy of activity followed and mail was now free to quit. The next time it happened I noticed that "updating flags" or something like that was hung up, quit that and mail was free. Likely enough the bug is in some obscure activity like that.

It's possible that quitting the wrong thing will cause you to lose work, that may have happened to me when I quit a random activity.

Mail won't quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.