Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud vs sugarsync for family photos, videos ?

Does anyone know how to use icloud to back up all family photos and family video?

I was considering carbonite, but discovered sugarsync. Havent signed up yet, because if icloud can do it all for me, then i will use icloud. I want to back up ALL of my familiy photos, and ALL of my family videos. I cant figure out HOW to do this--i know that i will need to purchase more memory, but the problem is knowing HOW to do so. Right now it seems to only store the most recent photos on the cloud, and syncs them with all devices. I dont want to buy a back up storage drive for my home because the home is old, no basement and in tornado alley. Better to have items backed up off site.

It looks like iMATCH is the way to use icloud to back up music? or can it be backed up without being synced to itunes?

icloud-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 12:39 PM

icloud backs up everything on your iOS5 device to the cloud, but there is no way of accesing this stuff directly. Its only for emergency cases to restore your device from the web.

idisk is no more, so you can't use iCloud as space for files . You can only sync or manually upload iwork09 comaptible office files ( using a browser at icloud.com/iwork ) . , this feature is only available if you have iOS pages,numbers or keynote installed. Again : no other files are storeable by yourself.

Gallery and Homepage is no more , you can't share Pictures or Videos with anyone else but yourself :

Photostream is only streaming your recent pictures across your devices that use the same Apple-ID. Videos are NOT included at all in the stream.

icloud is in no way what MobileMe was. If you look for features of MM, you must search outside of Apple.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2011 12:39 PM in response to drjenna

icloud backs up everything on your iOS5 device to the cloud, but there is no way of accesing this stuff directly. Its only for emergency cases to restore your device from the web.

idisk is no more, so you can't use iCloud as space for files . You can only sync or manually upload iwork09 comaptible office files ( using a browser at icloud.com/iwork ) . , this feature is only available if you have iOS pages,numbers or keynote installed. Again : no other files are storeable by yourself.

Gallery and Homepage is no more , you can't share Pictures or Videos with anyone else but yourself :

Photostream is only streaming your recent pictures across your devices that use the same Apple-ID. Videos are NOT included at all in the stream.

icloud is in no way what MobileMe was. If you look for features of MM, you must search outside of Apple.

Oct 28, 2011 7:31 PM in response to drjenna

Do you want to backup, sync, or both.

As a backup solution iCloud is untried, as a sync solution for content (contacts, calendar entries) it's excellent, as a file sync solution it's hopeless.

I use iCloud and SugarSync, they are complimentary, SS looks after the file backup & sync, and grants access to them from anywhere, iCloud keeps my contacts and calendars in sync.

If you need more storage than the 5G they both offer for free, SS is cheaper.

icloud vs sugarsync for family photos, videos ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.