Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three finger swipe crashes applications (eg Firefox and Spotify)

I use the latest version of Lion (10.7.2) with a Magic Trackpad and ever since I upgraded to Lion the three finger swipe gesture results in crash in several different applications (e.g. Firefox 6+7 and Spotify). The crashes in Firefox is very annoying since I would like to use the gesture as back-forward navigation.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac 21.5" (late 2009) 12Gb RAM

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 12:27 PM

4 replies

Oct 22, 2011 3:10 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

I have just rebooted into safe mode and the three finger swipe crashes both Firefox and Spotify, just as it does in the normal mode. Btw, I have had MultiClutch and BetterTouchTool installed before when I used Magic Mouse on Snow Leopard, but I have deleted/uninstalled these tools a while ago. I also deleted some remaining folder for one of the tools (as part of the troubleshooting) after the crash issue with three finger swipe appeared.

Oct 22, 2011 3:22 PM in response to Mattias_N

If the problem persists in "safe mode" that pretty much rules out third-party system extensions as the cause of the problem. There may still be the possibility that something in your user's login items is causing trouble. There's a way to prevent such things from loading, perhaps by holding down a shift key while logging in. (I can't remember.) If that doesn't help either, then I'd launch the Console utility, perform the steps that make those things crash, and look for messages in the Console window that might explain what's going on. If not, in Console look in the "User Diagnostic Reports" category for a crash report that might contain a clue to the problem.

Oct 23, 2011 1:46 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Your suggestion of using the Console helped me to solve the issue. I noticed in the console logs that several applications complained about not being able to reach something related to "Library/InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager". So obviously I hadn't removed all traces of the input tools I used before.

So I deleted two files and one folder in InputManagers folder (all files were all related to MultiClutch) and restarted the computer. Now after the reboot, Spotify doesnt crash and I can use the three finger swipe in Firefox to navigate back/forward.

Thanks for the suggestions, William Boyd, Jr.!

Three finger swipe crashes applications (eg Firefox and Spotify)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.