Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not shuffle songs

I recently joined iCloud and since then have not been able to shuffle songs on my Apple TV.

My songs are on the Apple TV. They are all there; all the album art is there, and I can play them individually; however when I click "Shuffle Songs" I receive the following message - "No content was found".

My Home Sharing is on, and I have unplugged the Apple TV and restarted my iMac, but keep getting the same error message.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 2:38 PM

18 replies

Oct 23, 2011 7:08 AM in response to Winston Churchill

The problem is only with shuffling songs. Everything else works OK, i.e. everything in iPhoto works, including slideshow; Netflix works; - I can play individual songs but can not shuffle songs (contnuous play). I have 2 Apple TVs and am having the same problem on both.

What do the two ends look like on a micro USB cable? I have so many extra cables, I'm not sure which is the correct one.

Oct 25, 2011 12:07 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I bought the cable, hooked up the Apple TV to my computer, clicked Restore and got the following message: "The Apple TV software update server could not be contacted. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later".

As a reminder, my photos are streaming properly and I can access the internet on the Apple TV.

What do I try next?

Nov 29, 2011 6:23 PM in response to David L Gerber

I just started having the same issue. I can play individual songs, but can't shuffle no matter what I try (a single album, a playlist, a genre, all songs, etc).

The only thing I can figure out is that I just updated the firmware and that screwed it up. Or turning on our new iphones and activating icloud accounts did it...

Any help would be appreciated!

Nov 29, 2011 9:53 PM in response to David L Gerber

Are you talking about shuffling songs from iCloud under main Music column (not available to Winston and I in UK), in which case it may have a buggy implementation, or song in Computers>iTunes Library>Music, or both?

I suspect you mean the iCloud hosted songs.

If so, they may have Shuffle in the interface without supported code or buggy code, so send feedback:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Nov 29, 2011 11:33 PM in response to Alley_Cat

At least for me, it's when I'm trying to shuffle songs from my desktop's library on the appletv. So not icloud-hosted stuff. It's just that the timing seems to coincide with activation of an icloud account.

So it's able to access the library to display artwork, list all the songs, artists, albums, etc. and even play individual songs or shuffle playlists, but it no longer can shuffle if you select all songs, or a genre and all albums, etc.

From his description, it sounds to me like the OP is seeing exactly the same thing - it can access everything, but balks at shuffling directly from the library itself.

Can not shuffle songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.