Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've forgotten my Keychain Access password. How can I change it?

I've forgotten my Keychain Access password. How can I recover it or change it?

I thought it was the same as my Admin/User account password, but it seems not! I'm the sole user, but it still insists on wanting the Keychain Access password.

iHope

G5 Dual 2GHz PowerPC; MacBook 2GHz Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 4:47 PM

13 replies

Oct 23, 2011 10:11 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua.

I rest the keychain password to match my user/admin password. However, it seems there are 3 keychains in Keychains Access - 'login keychain', 'System keychain' and 'X509 keychain'. The resetting only seems to have affected the 'login keychain'. Why is that?

When I'm asked for the keychain password in 'login keychain' it accepts the new password. But when I'm asked for the keychain password in 'System keychain' it rejects it 3 times and asks me to try later. I've changed the permission of the file 'System.keychain' (in Library > Keychains) from 'system' to 'me/owner' (via Command-I) but this has made no difference. Do I have reset the password for the 'System keychain' too? Is this possibe?

The newly created ('renamed') 'login keychain' was empty. The old one, which I'd dragged to the desktop, contained all the passwords I didn't want to lose. I put it back (into user > library > Keychains) and trashed the new empty 'login keychain'. I then ran Keychain First Aid 'Verify' which detected the new keychain was missing. I then ran Keychain First Aid 'Repair' which fixed it. I now had access to the old 'login keychain' with the new password. Does this make sense to you?

Could you please deal with my 3 questions?

Thanks, iHope

Oct 22, 2011 5:13 PM in response to iHope

You cannot recover or change it without knowing the current password. That's the whole reasoning for security of the keychain.

By default it is your administrator password, but you can (and possibly did) change it in the keychain. I have mine set differently because while there's nothing really personal on my computer and I like an easy password for it, I do have keychain items I want pretty secure.

Browse some of the links to the right in "More Like This" on ways to delete your current keychain so you can set up a new one. It includes one on archiving your current keychain just in case you remember the password at a later date.

Oct 23, 2011 11:04 AM in response to iHope

I've changed the permission of the file 'System.keychain' (in Library > Keychains) from 'system' to 'me/owner' (via Command-I) but this has made no difference.

Don't want to do that.

I then ran Keychain First Aid 'Repair' which fixed it. I now had access to the old 'login keychain' with the new password. Does this make sense to you?

Yes, that part does.

Do I have reset the password for the 'System keychain' too? Is this possible?

I don't think it can be done. Does the old PW work for viewing those?

Oct 24, 2011 7:28 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Does the old PW work for viewing those?

I don't remember previously ever setting a PW for Keychains Access. If there ever was an 'old' PW for Keychains Access I don't know it. So I'm unable to answer your question.

I'm now thinking that in the past, I could always access the 'login keychain' (cos I was never asked for the PW). This whole business began the other day when I wanted to access the 'System keychain' and was asked for the Keychains Access password. As the sole owner, I was surprised to find I was shut out!

Are you saying, in fact, that this situation is ok and I shouldn't expect to be able to access the 'System keychain'?

Thanks, iHope

Oct 24, 2011 10:13 AM in response to iHope

If there ever was an 'old' PW for Keychains Access I don't know it.

If there was an old one, it'd be the "old/original" user password.

Here my PW works on the System Keychain, which is in...

/Library/Keychains/System.keychain

And has rights of system=R&W, Admin=RO, everyone=RO, (not sure I didn't change some though).

Oct 24, 2011 11:13 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

If there was an old one, it'd be the "old/original" user password.

The old/original user password doesn't work. I believe this was made clear in my first posting:

"I thought it was the same as my Admin/User account password, but it seems not!"

As reported, I've reset the default Keychains Access password (to my Admin password). I can access the 'login keychain' but not the 'System keychain'. Isn't this weird? (My permissions for the latter is now the same as yours). What do you reckon could be the problem here?

Thanks, iHope

Oct 25, 2011 7:53 AM in response to BDAqua

Some wifi passwords for different locations are in my 'System keychain' (in Keychain Access). If I click on an item (for details of the password) it askes me for my Keychain password. I type in my user/admin PW but this is rejected 3 times.

BDAqua, does this happen to you with items in your 'System keychain'?

iHope

I've forgotten my Keychain Access password. How can I change it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.