Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an iPad charger on a Kindle?

I know the Kindle charger can't be used to charge an iPad (doesn't put out enough power) but what about the other way around? Can the Apple power adapter (used for iPads, iPods and iPhones) charge a Kindle?

The reason I ask this is the Kindle doesn't come with a charger and so I would like to avoid having to buy one if possible.

Will this work? Given that the Kindle charger has insufficient power for an iPad, does the iPad charger have too MUCH power for a Kindle? Would I harm a Kindle if I use the iPad charger on it?

iPad, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 9:57 AM

This has been discussed many times. Anything that charges using the USB 5 volt, 1 amp, 5 watt standard will charge fine with the iPad's USB 5 volt, 2 amp, 10 watt charger. You will not fry anything as long as the 5 volt requirement is not exceeded. If the charger has a higher amp/watt rating the device will still charge drawing only the amp/watts it needs and no more. If you try charging the iPad with it's higher amp/watt requirements with a lower 1 amp USB power source it will charge slower or not at all, but you will still not fry anything as long as the 5 volts is not exceeded.

With that said I would stick with good name brand chargers which use higher quality components which will maintian the power requirements they are built for.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Hailz26

This has been discussed many times. Anything that charges using the USB 5 volt, 1 amp, 5 watt standard will charge fine with the iPad's USB 5 volt, 2 amp, 10 watt charger. You will not fry anything as long as the 5 volt requirement is not exceeded. If the charger has a higher amp/watt rating the device will still charge drawing only the amp/watts it needs and no more. If you try charging the iPad with it's higher amp/watt requirements with a lower 1 amp USB power source it will charge slower or not at all, but you will still not fry anything as long as the 5 volts is not exceeded.

With that said I would stick with good name brand chargers which use higher quality components which will maintian the power requirements they are built for.

Oct 22, 2011 5:43 PM in response to Babaganoosh

Presuming your'e talking about using the power block to plug the kindle's usb into, I'd check the specs for the kindle, but theoretically you should be able to use any commercially available power block to charge it from an wall outlet.

I know people here talk about using their ipad charger to charge their ipod or touch.

I'd find and read the manuel for the kindle (has to be available online somewhere) and see what they say.

Can I use an iPad charger on a Kindle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.