Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot 'save as draft' in Mail 5.1

Hi, I've a problem with saving draft emails since I upgraded to Lion.

Example: My wife spent a couple hours replying to a long email from overseas relatives, most of the time spent exporting/resizing large .jpeg photos from iPhoto so the attachments did not mean a huge email.

She was interrupted but not too fussed because previously the emails would be saved as drafts if she closed a message before sending it.

But not this one.

My mail 5.1 help instructs to press the Save As Draft icon. There's no such icon on the toolbar nor is there one selectable from the Customise Toolbar option. File | Save As... is greyed out.

Mac is a mid-2010 iMac 27" quad core. Mail account is a MobileMe account that I am hanging on to until I upgrade my iPhone from a 3G (that cannot support iOS5 or Cloud).

Any help with settings or troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Mail 5.1-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 5:42 PM

3 replies

Oct 22, 2011 6:46 PM in response to NickAndKristin

Hi Nick,

I could not find the Save as Draft icon neither, but I do know that if you press Cancel instead of Send, you'll get the Save Dialog. Not very intuitive.😝

User uploaded file

If no one pops in to tell where this icon is, then you should file bug to Apple Feedback: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Edit: couldn't find a direct link to Feedback Mail.

Oct 22, 2011 6:57 PM in response to NickAndKristin

I got this answer from a friend of mine:

When you create a new message, then close it with the Red Dot in the upper left hand corner, it will ask if you wish to save it as a Draft - If you confirm, it will be in the drafts folder.

There is no 'Save As' , but there is a 'Save' option, and it too will save the work in the Drafts folder..

Cannot 'save as draft' in Mail 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.