Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Burning takes so long, first time around - why?

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can help with a query I have please?

I use an external DVD burner to burn DVD's for a customer each day (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRF82SD22/).

The interface I'm using on this particular burner, is the FW800 interface, and burn times for the same job, are typically around 7minutes per session.

However, (and here's the issue) - first thing every morning, or after a long period of inactivity, a burn will take as long a 18 minutes, then come back to the 7 minute burn time over 3 or 4 burns. If I use it constantly, the burn times sit around 7 minutes all day long . . . . but never first time!

(I noticed too, that the DVD takes a while to mount on the Desktop at times.)

This happens constantly, and I've been taking note of this phenomenon for over 3 months.

iMac is about a 18 months old (2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo/2GB Ram)

OS is 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

DVD's are DVD-R

Filetypes being burned are always .MPG.

If anyone can explain to me why this may be happening, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

iMac 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 7:41 PM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2011 4:07 PM in response to st3v1e

No replies so I would assume no one has or noticed. The only thing I thought of, but not sure it applies to your case (which is why I didn't reply but I mention it now anyhow) is perhaps a disk image is created the first time before burning it to the dvd and then reused for additional copies. The fact that you said you do this throughout the day made me think you couldn't be burning the same thing each time so new disk images would have to be created for those new times which throws out that disk image theory.

DVD Burning takes so long, first time around - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.