Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the default folder for Apple Mail...

In 2007 on this forum, D. Gimeno wrote the following helpful post about changing the default directory for Apple Mail. Would this still be valid in Lion? I want to keep OS and programs on 1 partition of my MiniMac's hard drive, and all content (including mail, contacts, calendars, and documents) on another and back it up using Time Machine. If this is still the way to do it - basically moving the stuff and changing the path accordingly - can I also do it with iCal and the Address book? Thanks y'all!

"Although I mostly agree with what the other participants have said, for completeness let me say that you can accomplish what you want using a symbolic link (‘symlink’):

1. Quit Mail.

2. Move the Mail folder from ~/Library/ to anywhere you wish, say to the root level of a disk called “External HD” (in which case the path to the Mail folder would be /Volumes/External HD/Mail).

3. Make sure the Mail folder is no longer in ~/Library/. If it’s still there, and you don’t want to delete it yet, just move it to the Desktop.

4. Open /Applications/Utilites/Terminal, type the following command and press <Return> (you can copy the command from this post, paste it in a text editor, edit the path there, copy it again, and paste it in Terminal):

ln -s "/Volumes/External HD/Mail" ~/Library/

This shall create in ~/Library/ a symbolic link called Mail that points to/Volumes/External HD/Mail. Alternatively, a 3rd party utility can be used to create the symbolic link instead of using Terminal.

This will work as long as the volume is mounted and the path to the actual Mail folder doesn’t change. If the path to the folder changes (because the disk is renamed or the folder is moved, for example), just quit Mail if it’s running, get rid of the symlink in ~/Library/, and create it again using the new path.

Note: For those not familiarized with the ~/ notation, it refers to the user’s home folder, i.e. ~/Library is the Library folder within the user’s home folder."

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:10 AM

I can confirm that this works for Mail and Address Book on Lion.

On Snow Leopard, and now on Lion, I keep the directories for both Mail and Address Book in an encrypted sparsebundle image, with symbolic links from their standard locations, i.e. from

~/Library/Mail

~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook

Both Mail and Address Book work without any problems. As yet I haven't tried this for iCal on Lion,( but expect it to work).

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2011 12:10 AM in response to jjphvn

I can confirm that this works for Mail and Address Book on Lion.

On Snow Leopard, and now on Lion, I keep the directories for both Mail and Address Book in an encrypted sparsebundle image, with symbolic links from their standard locations, i.e. from

~/Library/Mail

~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook

Both Mail and Address Book work without any problems. As yet I haven't tried this for iCal on Lion,( but expect it to work).

Oct 23, 2011 3:22 PM in response to jjphvn

Be VERY sure you are looking in your Home Directory NOT in the Mac HD Directory.

NB. You can access the Home Directory Library by hitting Go in the Top Menu, selecting Go to Folder and typing Library into the drop down window lastly hitting the Go button. Alternatively use the Key Combo ⇧⌘G.

Regardless of the status of Mail the Mail Folder can be seen in the Home Directory.

Take great care or you may make problems for yourself.

Oct 23, 2011 11:46 PM in response to Don Archibald

Okay - I put the entire mailfolder on the external HD. After reopening Mail, everything worked fine, but the Mail folder re-appears in the Home Library, now with a ' shortcut' symbol. I gues that means the sysmbolic link works.

I can still open all subfolders in it. Does that mean Finder actually opens all these folders on the externa disk, but shows them as if they were in the Home folder? I want to make sure I still don't have a mail folder in my Home Library...

Oct 24, 2011 12:42 AM in response to Don Archibald

Accessing 'Library' is a little like 'killing a cat' in that there are many ways to achieve a result.

It should be noted the expression is colloquial, I do not go around "killing' anything.

Those who need frequent access to the Library may consider accessing the Library and having done so drag the Folder to Finder's Side Bar.

In future they are then one click away from direct access to their Library.

Apple seem to be insensitive to the results of their confusing naming, especially when access may be infrequent?

Calling one of the Libraries e.g., LibraryX may be sufficient to indicate to most users that it is somewhere they should not be venturing?

Setting a up a 'second' [in name at least] App Store frankly beggars belief.

It may well be the policy to be working toward a device wide OS with everything ultimately available from iTunes? In the interim it would be useful to differentiate between Mac Applications and iOS Apps without folk having to add their own expression in the interests of clarity.

Sorry to wander off topic but, IMO, this is another example of flawed thinking.

Oct 24, 2011 1:00 AM in response to Froggy Grodkin

I hope so - and nothing off topic to me there. The shortcut icon for a symbolic link is quite an elegant solution, if you ask me ;-). I'm new to Apple from Windows and I want to keep all iOS and other Apps on the (home) volume, while keeping all content on another and backing that up. It's good that you can (now?) exclude volumes in Time Machine and back up just what you really need in case of emergency - your documents, mail, adresses and calendar. All the rest is either installed on your new machine or can easily be re-installed from scratch (CD's or downloads).

If anyone, by the way, happens to know for a 100% sure what the exact names of the Home Library folders are that are being used for iCal and Address book, I would be glad to hear about it. Those are definitely not as obvious as the Mail folder...

Oct 24, 2011 1:07 AM in response to jjphvn

jjphvn wrote:

Does that mean Finder actually opens all these folders on the externa disk, but shows them as if they were in the Home folder?

Yes.

You can verify that easily, a couple of ways.

• With one of the folders open, hold down the Command key and click on the folder's name in its titlebar. A dropmenu will open, listing the path to that folder in reverse hierarchical form. Note - items in that list are clickable.

• Go to the View menu and click "Show Path Bar". This will add a narrow strip to the bottom of any open folder's window. In that new area will be shown the full path to the folder. Note - each item in that display of the path is clickable.

Oct 24, 2011 6:35 AM in response to Froggy Grodkin

Froggy Grodkin wrote:

IMO, this is another example of flawed thinking.

Yes, one of many. I have compiled a long list of them, for my own reference purposes as a reminder of the bad experiences I had with Lion and which I am NOT having now that I'm back to Snow Leopard.

Another annoying Mail glitch:

In Apple Mail, when I send a message with an attachment, there is no paper clip icon in the "attachments" column in the "sent" folder. So I have no idea whether the attachment was actually sent, or not.

It beats me how this got screwed up, because it works fine in Snow Leopard. What on earth did they do?

Oct 24, 2011 6:48 AM in response to Don Archibald

Don - the View path I get when doing that is again from the Home folder, not the externa drive. I don't seem to be able to click on the path items either. The other way - I'm looking for what you call ' the folder's title bar...' What am I missing? Or is the shortcut icon (the folder with the arrow in the lower left corner) proof enough?

Changing the default folder for Apple Mail...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.