Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to restart my system to get Home sharing from Windows working

On the second start-up of iTunes on Windows, it cannot see my two AirPlay devices on my network and other devices on the network cannot see the shared library. All of this works the first time I start Windows after system start-up. If I reboot the machine, things start working again.

This is very inconvenient. Has anyone else experienced the same problems? and found a solution?

Windows 7 64-bit with iTunes 10.5 64-bit. AirPort Time Capsule router. All devices are connected with Ethernet. ESET Antivirus and Windows firewall. I have tried temporarily disable both security products to troubleshoot the problem. No difference with the product disabled.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 6:05 AM

14 replies

Oct 24, 2011 11:02 AM in response to Macsential

I've been struggling with the same issue since upgrading to iOS5 and iTunes 10.5. iTunes Home Sharing works for about 5 minutes - but then drops out. Im streaming from Win7x64 with itunes 10.5.0.42 to iPhone 4 and iPad 2 (both wiht iOS 5).

Streaming worked flawlessly up until either the upgrade to iTunes 10.5 or iOS5.

The only other addition is the introduction of Apple TV2 on the wired Gigabit network. Ive done hours of testing and it seems once the ATV wakes up - it kills all Home Sharing. Likewise, ATV2 shares fine by itself but if i try to connect with one of my other iOS 5 devices - the home sharing dies and all devices lose connectivity. Im going to remove the ATV completely (power down) and see if Home Sharing can stay up.

*Please note: iTunes shows no issues - continues functionning and when i close iTunes it tells me there are devices connected to sharing, etc.Although, no device can see the shared library.

In order to get home sharing to work again: I must close and reopen iTunes on the Win7 PC.

FYI: Ive done the following:

- Assigned static IPs to all devices (iphone 4, ATV2, iPad2)

- Opened the ports on my router described in the article (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2463)

- Created Firewall Rule on Win7PC to allow all connectiions from the specified iOS devices' IP addresses

- Verified all rules in the Firewall Settings on the Win7 PC with the iTunes library (includes Bonjour and iTunes and all are active)

Super frustrating - wife is complaining a lot.

Oct 24, 2011 12:18 PM in response to Chrisem0

Ok, I ve removed the ATV2 from my devices and re-started iTunes so Home Sharing was available.

I can stream to a single iOS5 (iphone or iPad) device with no issue. Once I start trying to connect to the Home Sharing Library: As SOON AS the connection is made on the second iOS device Home Sharing drops out on both devices.

Ive repeated this in two different orders: iPhone connects first, then iPad connects second and Home Sharing drops. Then Ive repeated this in the opposite order.

Alas, i think home sharing has died for me. as my two year old little girl says: "Im sad".

Oct 24, 2011 12:47 PM in response to Macsential

Sounds like Apple inadvertently introduced a bug in one of their software updates. Best thing to do in this case is to report the bug so they are aware of it.

It sounds like only one device can connect to the Home Share at any one time. As soon as a second device is added thing go bad.

The only other thing I can think of is to de-authorize and then re-authorize all the iTunes accounts and devices but I doubt this is the problem.

Oct 24, 2011 12:48 PM in response to Macsential

Ok, I am seeing a little improvement (and I need to take a break as this is just irritating me!)... So try this as this worked for me for the past 10 minutes (I have two devices streaming uninterrupted: on iOS 5, iPhone 4 and iPad).

I went into control panel - Programs - Uninstall Program

Select iTunes - Select "Change"

Select "Repair"

Rebooted the PC

Started iTunes

Opened the Shared Library from my iPhone (started a stream of a playlist) then,

Opened the Shared Library from my iPad (started a stream of a playlist)... 14minutes so far...

Sounds so simple (and if this works it would just anger me I didnt try the easy stuff first!).

Let me know - and I will open a ticket if it doesnt work for you.

Oct 29, 2011 2:33 PM in response to Chrisem0

Hi, all - I will post this in both my discussions... I HAVE SOLVED MY ISSUE with Home Sharing dropping!!! I hope this helps someone else!

I said earlier i had two machines both Win7x64, both running iTunes x64 - only one worked without dropping the home sharing connection. I sat down and compared entries in both firewalls for both machines. It appears there were duplicate entries for Bonjour in the PC that WAS NOT working. Once I changed the firewall to match that of the other - IT WORKS.

Here are brief steps and my settings that are working for Win7x64. (I expect this could be a similar issue in Win7x86(32bit) and MacOS).

Click Start

In "Run" type: (no quotes) Firewall

User uploaded file

Select Advanced Firewall

Select "Inbound Rules"

User uploaded file

Select "Sort by Group" so there is no grouping (this will bring Bonjour and iTunes entry to the top, most likely

User uploaded file

Match my settings which Ive included below so there are only 4 Bonjour entries and 1 iTunes.

Delete any duplicates for Bonjour (I had 4 set to Public and two set to Private) They should all be on your private network -

There should be only one each of a TCP and UDP entry for C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

AND

Only one each of a TCP and UDP entry for C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

User uploaded file

Need to restart my system to get Home sharing from Windows working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.