Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major iPhone 4s touch screen problems. The screen randomly "quivers" and performs random commands.

The touch screen on my iPhone 4s started flipping out yesterday. When typing in iMessage, it will randomly pause, add strings of letters, go back to list view. In Safari, touching the screen causes the the page to jump around or go "back". Same in apps. Help!

Sent from my iPad

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 10:55 AM

I just got the 4S yesterday (64 GB Verizon) and the touchscreen has exhibited similar problems within hours of initial operation. Typing messages is almost impossible since some letters cannot be pressed and the screen now registers phantom touches when my fingers are anywhere near the surface. It's even made it difficult to open apps since the screen is registering a touch in random wrong places (i.e. not the same distance from my actual touch). VERY FRUSTRATING! I already have a reservation at the Genius Bar for this afternoon but am really ****** that the device is not working properly. Never had this problem with my 3Gs.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2011 10:55 AM in response to Kingeas

I just got the 4S yesterday (64 GB Verizon) and the touchscreen has exhibited similar problems within hours of initial operation. Typing messages is almost impossible since some letters cannot be pressed and the screen now registers phantom touches when my fingers are anywhere near the surface. It's even made it difficult to open apps since the screen is registering a touch in random wrong places (i.e. not the same distance from my actual touch). VERY FRUSTRATING! I already have a reservation at the Genius Bar for this afternoon but am really ****** that the device is not working properly. Never had this problem with my 3Gs.

Oct 31, 2011 10:40 PM in response to Kingeas

Yep my 4S started this the other night. got an appointment at the genius bar but worried they are going to think I'm nuts because it doesn't always do it. Mine is really bad at times.. where I don't even touch the screen and it starts doing things as if it was posessed. It went into my settings and turned a bunch of settings on and off the other night. Thought I was going insane watching it do all this on its own and then my husband got home and witnessed the same thing. It started with the letter "i" not working (that area on the screen) and it got progressively worse from there.

Nov 1, 2011 8:49 AM in response to daniellestevenson

Took my 4S into the Apple Store and showed the Genius folks what was happening. I couldn't even select any apps and it began to act like a possessed machine. They replaced my less than 24-hour old model with a new phone without any resistance. The new one doesn't exhibit any of the same problems. Guess there may be a bad batch out there with this flaw.

Take it in and get it replaced. It's clearly a hardware defect.

Nov 2, 2011 6:28 AM in response to mattfreedman

I also made an appointment at the Genius Bar and took my phone in Sunday. The phone didn't exhibit any of the problems described above while I was there but honestly, I'm not sure the guy even checked. We sat down, I described the problem, he went to the back and got me a new phone. According to him, it had a bad touch sensor. We backed my old phone up to iCloud one more time, got the new phone running and restored to my back up, deleted everything off of my old phone, and I was out the door in no time with a new phone, and all of my data.

All tech products will have their share of issues, that's just the way it is. But my experience in the store last Sunday is the reason I won't even consider buying a phone or computer from any company other than Apple.

Major iPhone 4s touch screen problems. The screen randomly "quivers" and performs random commands.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.