Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade to new Airport Express

I would like to upgrade my old Gen2 extreme to current one, but am concerned about EXACTLY how to do this if I should I buy the new express. Also I would like to change the channel but am reluctant to do ANYTHING with the extreme. I am interested in improving download speeds which vary widely.

iMac5,1 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.7.2), airport extreme, 2nd gen

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 11:38 AM

I am interested in improving download speeds which vary widely.

Your connection with your Internet Service Provider limits your speed. Your AirPort Extreme is much faster than your Internet service can provide.

I would like to upgrade my old Gen2 extreme to current one, but am concerned about EXACTLY how to do this.

It is not possible to upgrade since there were hardware changes that were made in different generations of the Airport Extreme.

Also I would like to change the channel but am reluctant to do ANYTHING with the extreme.

The AirPort Extreme will automatically choose the best available channel for you. If you change the channel manually, how do you know which channnel to use?

Minimize any obstructions in the signal path. Try for line of sight between the computer and AirPort Extreme. Move any cordless phones as far away as possible from the AirPort Extreme and your computer as well as other electronics like amplifiers, televisions, satellite receivers, etc.

This Apple Support Document will tell you more about Wireless Interference, which is likely the cause of your varying connection speeds:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1365

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2011 11:38 AM in response to SADON

Your connection with your Internet Service Provider limits your speed. Your AirPort Extreme is much faster than your Internet service can provide.

I would like to upgrade my old Gen2 extreme to current one, but am concerned about EXACTLY how to do this.

It is not possible to upgrade since there were hardware changes that were made in different generations of the Airport Extreme.

Also I would like to change the channel but am reluctant to do ANYTHING with the extreme.

The AirPort Extreme will automatically choose the best available channel for you. If you change the channel manually, how do you know which channnel to use?

Minimize any obstructions in the signal path. Try for line of sight between the computer and AirPort Extreme. Move any cordless phones as far away as possible from the AirPort Extreme and your computer as well as other electronics like amplifiers, televisions, satellite receivers, etc.

This Apple Support Document will tell you more about Wireless Interference, which is likely the cause of your varying connection speeds:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1365

Oct 24, 2011 5:03 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I erred in saying upgrade the extreme -- I want to replace it with a Gen5. I am also using an express to extend the network.

Line of sight is not possible as the cable modem is on the second floor and the computer on the first floor of a rather large house. Nor is a cable connection between express and iMac possible.

I suspect that varying download speeds may be the fault of my ISP as download speeds drop dramatically when school is out.

I am mainly concerned that a new extreme will have problems with my existing network including an iMac and a Mini both connected via WIFI.

Oct 24, 2011 7:44 AM in response to SADON

I suspect that varying download speeds may be the fault of my ISP as download speeds drop dramatically when school is out.

That certainly would explain the slow down. The ISP is getting overloaded.

While it is nice to have a new item, unless there is a particular feature that the Gen5 device has that your current AirPort Extreme does not, my opinion would be that you will likely see no improvement in the overall wireless performance of your network.

I say this because I have both a Gen 2 and Gen 5 AirPort Extreme and I frankly do not notice any difference between them in day to day use. Your experience may of course be different.

How to upgrade to new Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.