Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i need a data plan to use IPhone?

I am considering getting an IPhone over a newer IPod touch

right now for cell phone i use an old flip phone by samsung,

the idea to combine a phone into my ipod is good idea.

IPhone is neat, but i am worried if the monthly plans are too $$$

if i get a IPhone would i be paying for both the cell phone coverage and a data plan as well.

is data plan with all IPhones mandatory,

what options have all you people done?

would like some suggestions.

thanks

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 10:53 AM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2011 11:00 AM in response to worldtraveller321

If you are in the U.S., ATT, Verizon, and Sprint require a data plan.

The iPhone is designed to always have an internet connection as long as there is an available wi-fi network or cellular reception. You couldn't exchange regular MMS without a data plan, Apple's new iMessage service won't work without it unless you are connected to an available wi-fi network at the time, and visual voicemails with the iPhone are downloaded via the carrier's cellular network only.

Dec 3, 2011 6:57 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Actually that isn't entirely accurate. I have an iPhone 3GS currently on ios5 and my cellular service is with AT&T. I was told that I have to have a data plan in order for my iPhone to operate properly. That isn't entirely true either. If you go to your SETTINGS>General>Network you should see two buttons one for 3G and one for Data. Turn them both to off and send someone a text message. Make sure to request a reply. You should find that you have no issues. I do it this way everyday with my wife. AT&T forces you to have a data plan stating that it is required.

Jan 10, 2015 6:45 PM in response to iPadAppoftheWeek

Apple only sells the latest model.

If you wish to get an older model, you would have to buy it used from someone who no longer wishes to use it.

The iPhone must have a SIM in it in order to be activated, and it needs to be activated any time it is restored or updated, even if you wish to use it as an iPod.

If all you want is an iPod, just buy an iPod.

~Lyssa

Do i need a data plan to use IPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.