Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2008 MBP 15-inch corrosion on logic board (photo) -- won't turn on

My MPB late 2008 15-inch won't turn on. I get a black screen, the sleep light is solid, the hard drive hums, but then after 3 seconds it turns off. POST portion of bootup won't run. After reading some on these boards I figure its the logic board.

Took it into the apple store, they say water or user-caused damage. $1200 bucks to fix (i'm out of warranty, but i guess it wouldn't be covered on warranty any how). Might as well buy a new comp at that price. I have never spilled water or other liquids on this or used it in otherwise wet environments, but it is what it is.

Went home, opened up the comp to see the logic board's damage, and it does look like there is some corrision (see below in photo, copper/salt covered bit).

So I'm looking to repair on my own with third-party. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of "corrsion" before and succeeded in switchign out the logic board and getting the computer working again?

If its salvageable, i've got a quote from a local guy who can do it for $330 with one year warranty on the whole computer. Is that a decent price?

Thanks for any help.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 1:33 PM

7 replies

Oct 23, 2011 2:28 PM in response to ezsobre

sure, make sure you unplug the power, take out the battery and hold the power button for like 15 seconds or so with the battery out and the power not plugged in.

make sure you're on a static free surface or make sure you've grounded your body .

let it sit for a while after you've done this, and make sure you're using the right rubbing alcohol. There is one that is 99% I believe.

Late 2008 MBP 15-inch corrosion on logic board (photo) -- won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.