Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-Installing Apple Mobile Device Service

So I accidentally uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Service from my hp that is running windows 7. Now when I open itunes It gives me the message"This ipod cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device Service is not started" I cannot find the software on my computer anymore and all of the pages ive read have just told me to find the file and right click it and click start service. But I don't have the file anymore so i can just start it. I tried downloading the newest version of itunes but this didn't help. Is there anywehere i can download just the Apple Mobile Device Software so I can synce my itouch again?

iPod touch, iTunes Help

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 11:22 AM

Removing all Apple related software and reinstalling iTunes should bring all needed drivers back: Removing iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista and 7

Also covered here: How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows

5 replies

Oct 24, 2011 11:41 AM in response to JCaptainAmerica

Reinstalling iTunes should not affect the content of your ipod, but to be sure, back up the backup folder. It is located here:

Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Note: If you do not see the AppData or Application Data folders, you may need to show hidden files (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7), or iTunes may not be installed in the default location. Show hidden files and then search the hard drive for the Backup directory.

copied from iTunes: About iOS backups

iTunes Store purchases or songs imported from CDs are saved in your My Music folder by default and are not deleted by removing iTunes. While it is highly unlikely that you will lose any contents of your iTunes Library when following these steps, it is always a good idea to ensure that your iTunes library is backed up. If you're unsure how to backup, see iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive.

copied from the article about reinstalling iTunes

Re-Installing Apple Mobile Device Service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.