Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with 'Share a Public IP Address' on Airport Extreme

Hi everyone,

So I just purchased an Airport Extreme Base Station but I can only seem to get it to work 100% in "off (Bridge Mode)".

Here's the situation:

• I have the extreme plugged into an ethernet wall port in my college bedroom which connects us to our university's college ISP the BigAir Group
  • Upon connecting to the network via the ethernet port we are required to login to our account which stays active until we sign out
  • I previously used a very old and outdated Netgear wireless router prior to purchasing the AEBS but it was limited to 802.11b hence the upgrade 😝 and this worked fine without any dramas
  • So i set up the AEBS properly and everything is signed in etc and the internet is working however in "Share public IP" mode some webpages will not load correctly or load at all. e.g. FaceBook using https only partially loads, iCloud does not load at all (also using https), Youtube (using http) does not load at all but other sites like my bank and ninemsn.com.au load fine. **In bridge mode all websites load perfectly**
  • I need the AEBS to work in "share IP" mode as I have four other devices that need to connect and use the internet and in bridge mode only one device can use the connection, all others are presented with the ISP login page.
  • I have tried setting the AEBS to distribute IP addresses but I end up with no internet connection at all 😟

If anyone has any idea on what could fix this issue and enable me to use "share IP" mode correctly I would greatly appreciate it as I dont really want to return the AEBS and buy another router!

Cheers Rhys 🙂

Airport Extreme Base Station-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:09 PM

4 replies

Oct 24, 2011 8:48 AM in response to rhys92

I have the extreme plugged into an ethernet wall port in my college bedroom which connects us to our university's college ISP the BigAir Group

First, I am assuming that you have already spoken with your college's IT department and that they allow you to create a wireless network off of their network ... correct? The reason I'm asking is because most schools do NOT allow this ... so it would be more of an exception than a rule if your school does ... and, if they do, great! You may want to ask them for advice on how to properly configure your AirPort to work with their network.

Upon connecting to the network via the ethernet port we are required to login to our account which stays active until we sign out

This sounds like your college has implemented a RADIUS server to authenticate users before they can access their network. Your AirPort Express Base Station (AX) can provide your user credentials to this type of server and this would be configurable via the AirPort Utility. However, to do so properly, would require that you can get the information from the IT folks to properly set it up. I have provided a screenshot of where this information would be entered in the AirPort Utility.

User uploaded file

Oct 24, 2011 8:59 AM in response to rhys92

Thanks for your help but after hours and hours of researching and tweaking I narrowed down the problem and it is to do with the AEBS not allowing NAT to be turned off.

The AirPort Utility DOES allow you to disable NAT via the Connection Sharing option. This same option also controls the DHCP service for the AirPort.

The following are the options and the result on both NAT & DHCP services:

• Share a public IP address: NAT & DHCP enabled
  • Distribute a range of IP addresses: NAT disabled / DHCP enabled
  • Off (Bridge Mode): NAT & DHCP disabled.

Unfortunately, the AirPorts do not offer separate options for each service.

Problems with 'Share a Public IP Address' on Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.