Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WASAPI in iTunes 10.5?

Hello

After upgrading to iTunes 10.5, I noticed that the WASAPI (Windows Audio Session) setting in the QuickTime control panel has no effect anymore. Before iTunes 10.5 it was working fine. I think the reason is that QuickTime is no longer used by iTunes. Is there a way to set iTunes to WASAPI audio output or let iTunes use QuickTime again?

Thanks

Core i7, 8 GB Ram-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 1:46 AM

4 replies

Jan 13, 2012 9:36 AM in response to Community User

From what I can hear the quality is the same you got before by manually setting Windows Audio Session under QuickTime control panel.

You can just do a quick test by playing the same audio track first with QuickTime Player and then with iTunes. Only if you downgrade the playback quality of QuickTime by choosing DirectSound instead of Windows Audio Session you'll hear the difference. iTunes plays as it always were Windows Audio Session.

I might be wrong but I can't hear any difference.

Jan 20, 2012 3:31 PM in response to stealth82

I don't know, for me at least WASAPI in iTunes 10.5 is broken, at least it is in Windows 7 x64.

I have a USB DAC setup on my PC and iTunes is not taking exclusive mode for bitperfect audio. I even installed Quicktime separately and messed with the Quicktime preferences to set it to Widows Audio Session, does not work.

You will know iTunes is using WASAPI by simply playing an audio file and then open a separate program that tries to play audio (for example, open a youtube video). If iTunes have exclusive mode you should get no audio out of your youtube video.

Foobar2000 with the WASAPI is working correctly on my system. iTunes, however, is not, or at least I don't have it configured correctly.

WASAPI in iTunes 10.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.