Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disable notification center completely iphone

disable notification center iphone

Help please!! I updated to ios5 about a week ago and mostly regret the update.

That notification center is important for some but I' d really prefer turing all that stuff off again to get the good performance of ios4 back to my iPhone 4. Please is there an option to turn that notification center off altogether? I disabled all "show in notification center" options and i got no use of the empty pull down screen (i hope you know what i mean ^^). I really can notice a difference as for example "fifa12" now rather often lags and before the ios update it didnt.

Whats also worrying me is that since I wanted to try out the iCloud service (which could make sense for documents for example) I cannot turn it off again completely. And when I disable only one option e. g. "photostream" and then try to take and view pictures, my iPhone tells me it would have been "locked". So I was FORCED TO USE ALL THAT ICLOUD STUFF AGAIN (i couldnt take pictures, add calendar events, edit and add contacts -> crazy!)

I dont want to blame you, but apple should do something if they want to keep happy customers happy… one last question: if notification center and icloud cant be turned off, is there a possibility to "downgrade" to ios4?

Many thanks in advance

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 10:34 PM

Apple removed my first post for no good reason, so I'm going to try to be as constructive as possible without being as blatantly angry as I actually am... even though I find it ironic that their deity ; Steve Jobs, was never anything close to constructive or reserved when criticizing people or products, yet somehow it seemed to work...

Anyways, I agree with the above post 1,000%. I too have absolutely no desire for the notification center. I badly need to disable this so called feature. Why exactly was it added to my phone in the first place? It does nothing but hinder my experience and pop up in the middle of my games when I don't want it. Did I ask for it? No. I don't want it at all. Give me the option to remove it, many people have asked for it and it seems to be slowing down a lot of games.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2011 10:34 PM in response to MHoerbe

Apple removed my first post for no good reason, so I'm going to try to be as constructive as possible without being as blatantly angry as I actually am... even though I find it ironic that their deity ; Steve Jobs, was never anything close to constructive or reserved when criticizing people or products, yet somehow it seemed to work...

Anyways, I agree with the above post 1,000%. I too have absolutely no desire for the notification center. I badly need to disable this so called feature. Why exactly was it added to my phone in the first place? It does nothing but hinder my experience and pop up in the middle of my games when I don't want it. Did I ask for it? No. I don't want it at all. Give me the option to remove it, many people have asked for it and it seems to be slowing down a lot of games.

Nov 4, 2011 5:53 AM in response to Abomination

I accidentally overlooked the option to "delete" iclous account or something...

But still, my first qery about the notification center hasn't changed.

Please Apple, make downgrades, or, better yet, disabling options for all stuff that slows the OS more than the previous one (!Notification Center!) possible. If it is already possible please inform me about it.

PS: In the eyes of my friends that own Android, Notification center is now a rip-off from Android's info-center, as it "stole" that function...

Nov 28, 2011 7:24 AM in response to MHoerbe

I too would like to disable completely the function to access new notifications by swiping down from the top of the screen. My 2 year old daughter is often playing with my iphone and she is now constantly giving me the device back again as its got stuck in the new notification centre.

I honestly thought that this new notification system was a bug which was introduced as I was testing a new app on my phone recently. I'm stunned that this is deemed a critical feature which can't be disabled.

Why oh why oh why have Apple decided that this is a core feature which we cannot disable? Grr....

Dec 31, 2011 4:44 PM in response to MHoerbe

I hate the notification center, it gets in the way when you want to skip forward in youtube and in the ipod when tou want to forward on a track from the actual bar at the top, ios 5 is not all that at all it is not user friendly so make a option for the notification center to be disabled for people who dont want to use it ASAP

Dec 31, 2011 4:52 PM in response to sunny26

How does it get in the way when not pulled down?

And you can disable notifications for any and all apps that are currently in Notification Center. I don't think notifications were enabled for any apps by themselves, but they can be turned off for each app currently available in Notification Center and don't enable notifications for any other apps.

Dec 31, 2011 6:01 PM in response to Abomination

Hi guys,

When you install an application (games and utilities), it prompts you with "App_name would like send you push notifications". You just have to select "Don't Allow" everytime. This way, even when there's an update for that app, or a new message and what not, it won't have pop up in your screen. Works for all apps. http://iphone-and-i.blogspot.com/

scott

Dec 31, 2011 6:06 PM in response to MHoerbe

What are you thinking KC7GNM?! If we DIDN'T want it to go back to the original method of stopping the game, then we wouldn't have POSTED in this thread in the FIRST PLACE. Is that really hard to comprehend? What exactly is the point of your post in this thread? Stop you're attempt at trolling.

We all want it to stop the game like it did before. That will prevent me from DYING every time I get a text message when I'm playing my games, which is currently what happens. I don't care about pleasing everyone, I care about getting what I PAID FOR, when I purchased my phone! Now, a lot of my games are unplayable

Dec 31, 2011 6:13 PM in response to unicohijo86

unicohijo86: This won't prevent notification center from pulling down during a game that requires swiping like Fruit Ninja does. This seems to be what most people in this thread want.

And even still, this isn't a sufficient fix for what we're complaining about because we don't want to "not receive any message when we get a text" for example. We only want a text message to NOT ruin our gaming experience or disrupt any other task we might be doing. Usually when I get a text message while I'm playing some of my favorite games, I'll be killed in my game (or something equivelant) simply because the new texting methods cause the game to stutter and lag and then when the game updates, I'm dead.... LAME!!!!!!

Disabling all notifications of text messaging is not a sufficient solution for this problem. If there were a way to remove notifcation center and revert to the previous method with the game stopped (as it should because Apple phones don't multi-task worth crap) then I could recover just fine once the game resumes... which is what I had been doing for over a year! That's all I want.

Mar 1, 2012 10:21 AM in response to MHoerbe

Zeeeeeeez. Looks cool what you did, but that ain't working for me. I followed the instructions as closely as I could and it didn't disable my notification centre. Perhaps some written instructions may help because the video is not explicit on some details.

And what's with all that accessibility stuff? I work in the industry and know a thing or two but a newbie like me to those accessibility advanced options were totally incomprehensible. I set up a few new custom gestures but couldn't see how to assign a command to them, so they just sat their rather pointlessly. Did anyone else have the same eexperience as me?

Will

disable notification center completely iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.