Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adress book doesn't search contacts

Three times I tryed to recover Lion 10.7.2 /cmd/R/User uploaded file to resolve problem in my contacts _address book. In search field when I typing letter to find the name , Address book doesnt react. Double click on name only extra pop up window is open ,on opposite site nothing is change. Address book showing former contact without any change. What I have to do?to resolve this problem.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 5:46 AM

15 replies

Nov 2, 2011 3:44 AM in response to dansen_bratislava

Hi everybobyu, this solved my problem:

it is working again idea from decafin8:

1. Back up your Address Book: From Address Book, choose File > Export and choose Export vCard to a desitnation of your choosing.
  2. Close Address Book.
  3. From the Desktop, Hold Option and click Go in the menu at the top of the screen.
  4. Choose Library. If this is not an option, you are not pressing the Option key or you are not an Admin.
  5. Expand the Application Support folder and drag the AddressBook folder to the Trash. Close window.
  6. Open Address Book and import your address book vCard.

Working again D+++

Dec 6, 2011 1:45 PM in response to dansen_bratislava

HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!

I recentally upgraded to Lion last month. I am having problems with address book since i uploaded new addresses in just yesterday. All of the sudden I cannot view individual addresses when I click once on them. It always just shows the first address I have in the book. This is extremely upsetting and I cannot figure out how to scroll through them.

Also when I do a search on a name, nothing comes up.

It is frustrated when there is no support and I can't figure this out on my own. All I have figured out is to try to update Address book but it is already updated. Am I missing something?

WILL TRY WHAT YOU SUGGEST THOUGH....

Dec 6, 2011 9:56 PM in response to sarahfromgolden

Forget it. I now have done that about 12 times. Now address book won't even import my contacts without crashing. iCloud is no use either, nothing is syncing.

I was on the phone for 1.5 hours today and they just had me reinstall Lion, a last resort 😟

Is this an icloud issue? Apple I am SO dissatisfied with you!!! Christmas time is a bad time for Address book to crash 50 times!

Dec 7, 2011 5:29 PM in response to David Pugsley

I was unable to import my address book vCard (step 6 above) because Address Book would crash every time I tried that.

Fortunately, David Pugsley's suggestion above worked for me. A big THANK YOU for that!!! That is, after step 5 in dansen_bratislava's post, I added iCloud as an account under preferences which immediately downloaded all my contacts. Now Address Book is back to normal and fully functional again. My problem with Address Book had been that the search function wouldn't work at all. Also, when I tried to open any contact, it would open in a separate window. Crazy.

Dec 16, 2011 9:21 AM in response to sarahfromgolden

Same problem here. iCloud confusion? Address book search worked consistently for 16 days after upgrading to LION, then stopped wokring consistently. Sometimes I get 1 or 2 successful searches before it requires manual scrolling and opening a new contact window like ZBZB above. My MBP is offline more than it is on a wifi. I took it into the local Apple store and they hadn't seen the problem before.

Jan 11, 2012 10:34 AM in response to ZBZB

Unfortunately, the problem of Address Book not searching contacts keeps happening again and again. I am regularly having to fix it using this method. Once fixed, it is good for a day, a few days or maybe a week, and then it happens again. I wish that Apple would fix the problem at its source.

Jul 27, 2013 2:35 AM in response to dansen_bratislava

On my Max OSX 10.7.5 Server, logged on as user, the Address Book is only using iCloud contacts and the search just stopped working about 1 month ago (June 2013).

So I have had resorted to using Spotlight to find the correct contact (have over 2,100).

I have tried the fixes, as above and from other web site, but same problem "Address Book Search for contacts doesn't work"

Can Apple fix this or do we have to put up with it?

Adress book doesn't search contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.